Rents - The Internet Vs. Reality

Then we should be covered.

It sounds very odd to me that they like money and are at the same time picky on where money comes from. If they consider and Argentinian job safer than a foreign job, I think they should revise their thoughts.

In the land of "money washing" it is very important to be able to prove "where the money comes from" if and when the appropriate authorities ask about it.

In the land of "money washing" it is very important to be able to prove "where the money comes from" if and when the appropriate authorities ask about it.

No problem with that, but it is not my fault if I am new to the country and I earned my living elsewhere in the past. That's all the paper I have now, that's how I make my living.

No problem with that, but it is not my fault if I am new to the country and I earned my living elsewhere in the past. That's all the paper I have now, that's how I make my living.

You may already know what you need to know about getting residency, but since you used the term "partner" instead of husband or wife I will add the following:

If you are married to an Argentine you will be able to apply for permanent residency here and you income will not be a factor. If you are not married you may be able apply for residency based on your foreign income.

Based on my own experience as well as everything I've read in this forum, migraciones doesn't ask for tax returns from foreigners applying for residency based on income earned in another country. They want bank statements, leases, and/or other "legal" documents that substantiate the foreign income.

If you are still earning your living in another country after you arrival it will be "subject to taxation in Argentina once you establish residency here. In the past it wasn't possible to get temporary residency based on "active" foreign income, but someone recently included active income as a way of qualifying for the visa "rentista" (possibly in the thread "Immigration for Dummies").

If you and you partner get married in Argentina you won't have to deal with the income issue as far as migraciones is concerned, but your continuing foreign income (certainly any you transfer to Argentina) will be taxable here (in addition to the 21% IVA that is included in the "price" of all goods and services with the exception of used items purchased from another individual), making the effective average tax rate about 40% for a foreigner paying 17% tax on their foreign income.

Please keep in mind that the average Argentine salary you referred in your first post is take home pay and the employer pays taxes on top of that.

I know you did not ask about this, and you may already know everything I've added here.I'm including it in case you did not and/or in case it is useful information to anyone else in a similar situation. Many (if not most) foreigners arrive in Argentina knowing very little about these issues and I was once one of them.

You will need the garantia if you are both self-employed -- unless you are willing to pay in about 6 months chunks of rent ahead of time. No one will take self-employed without a garantia -- at least not the first time they sign a contract, if you stayed in the apartment beyond 2 years you might then have enough confidence with them. However I can tell you, my local husband is now head of operations for Argentina at his company, a pretty high level position, and we still need the garantia from his mum for our rental contract. You will have to confirm with your husbande's family -- because for some people giving a garantia is a big deal, because what you have to do is present the title of your property, and if the people you are guaranteeing stop paying rent at any time, the owner of the rental property can go after the guarantor for their property, put an embargo on their salary, and hold them responsible for all debts. If you rent a place in Capital you need a garantia from a property in Capital, if you rent in provincia (ie San Isidro) you need a garantia from provincia. Sometimes they will let you get away with a garantia from Capital for provincia and vice versa if they see that the property that is being presented is worth a decent amount of money (ie you're not going to get away with garanteeing a 6000peso per month rental in San Isidro with a property title from a 45k monoambiente in La Boca (if a 45k monoambiente even exists in capital these days!).

It sounds very odd to me that they like money and are at the same time picky on where money comes from. If they consider and Argentinian job safer than a foreign job, I think they should revise their thoughts.

by the way, I don't mean to be really snarky, but you better leave that attitude at home (or at least keep those thoughts to yourself, not express them aloud to a local) -- european superiority isn't exactly an appreciated characteristic in Argentina.

Oh and, frankly, Jobs here are a lot safer than in a lot of countries -- it's practically impossible to fire staff, let alone your own cleaning lady! you can read through the board for various experiences with this

OF COURSE it makes a difference if you pay rent in dollars. You say you've done research, but if you didn't know this, you're not doing the right research. Google "dólar blue" to learn about all that for start...Your Argentine in-laws haven't mentioned this stuff at all? :huh:

I found my place on Mercado libre.

Rent is $3,000 a month first year, $3,750 year 2.

The monthly building fees are $1,000

There are various other bills such as internet, ABL, water, gas, power and phone.

It's a 2 bedroom in Palermo/Chacarita. I share with my roomie
and we split bills 50/50 so its doable.

2 year lease, his mom put her house as garuntee and aunt as income
Garuntee since at the time I was on my tourist stay with no AR income.

My sole income is from working here so my rent and building fees account for 30% of my income
more or less.

OF COURSE it makes a difference if you pay rent in dollars. You say you've done research, but if you didn't know this, you're not doing the right research. Google "dólar blue" to learn about all that for start...Your Argentine in-laws haven't mentioned this stuff at all? :huh:

Are you dumb or are you implying anybody but you is dumb?
I mean if I offer to pay (less) using USD bills instead of pesos with yearly 30% increments.

Back