repairing canon printer?

katti

Registered
I am having problems with my printer, I think the "head" needs to be renewed. It's a Canon and it's about 3 years old (I think).

In Belgium it would be cheaper to buy a new printer. What about here? Should I bring it to some kind of repair place or better not to bother? Any advice?

What model canon is it ?

The print head on canons are usually replaceable, all you need to do is remove the ink tanks, and then the print head can be removed. And are around 1/3 to 1/2 the price of a new printer of similar specifications..

The most common cause of print head failure is blocked ink tubes.. You can unblock maybe, by soaking the print head in a little water and bleach (a few drops) mixed together.. about 5 to 10 mils in a bottle top (like a peanut butter jar top), enough to cover the bottom of print head, and then sit the print head in that for a day, maybe changing the water/bleach solution once or twice depending on how dirty it gets..
Dry, make sure all contacts are clean and dry, put it back in printer, put in the ink tanks, and then do a deep clean via the print driver menus..

This might not fix your problem, but is worth a try.. I have done to quite a few canon print heads and its worked..

I agree with Lee.
I don't repair printers any more. Too much hassle and the parts cost more than the printer.

It looks like the opinions are devided, but although the answer of davonz sounds like as if the solution is just a piece of cake, I am not that technical to try it.

I don't want to throw it out imediately as I have a whole box of cartridges for this one...

thanks for your advise guys!

What model number is the printer ?

If it is one that has an seperate print head and ink tanks, it isnt technical, and its not a repair ! Just an easy clean or replacement, just like an ink cartridge of most ink-jet type printers..

Hi,

This is what you need:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-QY6-007...s=miscellaneous&qid=1285621534&sr=8-1-catcorr

Or on ebay - cheaper usually:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-print-hea...42?pt=Printer_Accessories&hash=item19be8c5c6e

Canon Part Number: QY6-0070-000

Its a print head, which takes 1 minute to install, and is as easy as ink-cartridge/ink tanks to install..

Anyways, you have to decide if it better to replace the whole printer or just the print head.. the age of printer, how much has been used, how much does a new printer of similar specs cost etc ???

I did try to look it up in canon.com.ar, but their website must be down - when i looked anyways..

Thanks guys for your help, just bought a new pr inter/scanner/copier, this time a HP, for 299 pesos... probably about the same price as the printhead + transport.

Hi Katti,
What model is your HP unit and at which retailer did you make the purchase?
I'd like to research some online reviews.
Thanks

Back