New Phone for 170 USD

Redpossum

Registered
I went to the Claro store yesterday, and bought a new Samsung Galaxy A04 with 64G and a new prepaid number. They were, as usual, incredibly kind, patient, and professional, in spite of my painfully limited mobile skills. I am amazed at the level of customer service exhibited by Claro every time I visit one of their stores. Where do they find these people, and how do they train them?

It was 113K pesos, I paid with my US VISA card, and the charge showing at my bank is 170 USD.

You can't beat that price with a stick.

I have never owned a top-end phone, but I find it hard to imagine what else they could possibly do that would make them worth 1000+ USD.

not to burst your bubble too much, but, buying that phone on the outside can be had cheaper. such is life buying tech in ARG! good thing you have access to the US card rate though.

Important to stay up to date on security updates. Looks like it is a August 2022 phone, with version of Android 12-based One UI 4.1 Core. Claro should have updated to Android 13-based One UI 5.0 update of February 2023 and the One UI 5.1 update in late March 2023. That is what you should confirm in Settings » Software update or Settings » About or some similar settings path.

Samsung supports only one more Android OS update in the future. After that you increase risk. Just stick to the mainstream safe websites that minimize advertising and pop-up, and don't let anyone talk you into installing some new "cool" app. Really do not install any apps without investigating.
hard to imagine what else they could possibly do that would make them worth 1000+ USD.
That is a phone designed for the low priced markets like Argentina. They designed it from the beginning with older generation components that must minimize the import taxes here. Perfectly reasonable for your needs. Since you ask, overall It will be quite slow compared to higher priced phones.

Important to stay up to date on security updates. Looks like it is a August 2022 phone, with version of Android 12-based One UI 4.1 Core. Claro should have updated to Android 13-based One UI 5.0 update of February 2023 and the One UI 5.1 update in late March 2023. That is what you should confirm in Settings » Software update or Settings » About or some similar settings path.

Samsung supports only one more Android OS update in the future. After that you increase risk. Just stick to the mainstream safe websites that minimize advertising and pop-up, and don't let anyone talk you into installing some new "cool" app. Really do not install any apps without investigating.

That is a phone designed for the low priced markets like Argentina. They designed it from the beginning with older generation components that must minimize the import taxes here. Perfectly reasonable for your needs. Since you ask, overall It will be quite slow compared to higher priced phones.

What do you think of the Google Pixel 7? I'm considering this product next time in the US in about two months. Thanks.

What do you think of the Google Pixel 7?
I am far from cell phone expert, or power user. I stick with $300-$500 phones, that will have a 3 year life of support upgrades. I have mostly owned the Pixels, though do not have the 7 yet. That line has 5 years of security updates, and 3 years of OS upgrades, which I believe has a clock ticking from the release date in 2022. I trust whatever thorough review was done by ArsTechnica [1], since they only review the few things they like.

Price compare pixels phones from shop.google.com, or wherever, to compare with deals at Google Fi [2]. Fi promos have less restrictions then shop.google or cell providers. Typically only need the Fi service on for 3 months for promo deal eligibility, and worth it if you already need service during your 2 months in USA. Then pause (or cancel) the Fi service when in Arg. No reason to cancel when pausing is a $0 monthly cost. The backup Fi USA phone number is very handy to just unpause at original month rate (billed per hour) when needed for 2FA or travel. These deals can be worth it even adding a second Fi plan. Or if the deal requires transfer from other USA service, simply get ATT service without a phone, use (or not) for the USA month in any old phone, then transfer to Fi and cancel ATT. Also ask Fi to send a some free data only SIMs to use in your iPad or to convert any old phone to internet only. Be sure to activate all Fi sims before departing USA.

[1] https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/202...-makes-refinements-to-the-best-android-phone/

[2] https://fi.google.com/account#buydevices

I am looking at it now, and it shows the One UI Core version as 5.0
The Android security patch level shows as April 1, 2023

The good advice is much appreciated, but I'm a desktop PC kinda guy. My phone is just for calls, Whatsapp, and 2FA type SMS. Oh, and there's an authenticator app for SWTOR, as well as a call-me-a-taxi app. It's not used for web browsing and I sure as hell don't do anything confidential like online banking - that's desktop territory.

Last edited:
What do you think of the Google Pixel 7? I'm considering this product next time in the US in about two months. Thanks.
I think Google will be releasing pixel 8 by October, so if you want the latest you should be able to by then. or get the 7 at a discount.

I'm a pixel fan, currently I have a 5 but the 7 isn't quite enough of an upgrade in specs to make me change. maybe I will for the 8.

Low and midtier phones here have been great deals for the last few years, especially Samsung ones, but the distortion due to the cepo has been difficult to time for when to get a deal on flagship devices.

For example, for work I have to update my main phone ever 2 years, and have an iOS device capable of running the current version of iOS (if my main phone is an Android one, which mine always is). Last time I had to update was in 2022, and I happened to be in the US anyways, and the offers were as follows for trading in an S20 Ultra (the phone I had at the time) for a base mode S22 Ultra:

US Samsung Store: S20 Ultra + $200 USD + Tax
Argentina Samsung Store: S20 Ultra + $800 USD in Blue Pesos

Checking now, no trade in, apples to apples is the following for the S23 Ultra:

US Samsung Store: $1,199 USD + tax
AR Samsung Store: $780K ARS ($1,076)

It's cheaper here now, and probably even more so with trade in, but I got a steal compared to the local AR offer, and considering the purchasing power of both countries, you'd think they'd want to target here.

I spoke with the folks at the Samsung Store on Florida Street when my friend had his phone stolen while visiting and they said they spend all day selling phones to folks from Chile, Uruguay, Brazil, Bolivia, and Paraguay, almost always in cash too.

Checking now, no trade in, apples to apples is the following for the S23 Ultra:

US Samsung Store: $1,199 USD + tax
AR Samsung Store: $780K ARS ($1,076)
Yes though the Google Fi subsidy brings that S23 Ultra (unlocked) cost down to $600 plus required four $20 months of service. Assuming someone visiting USA is there for two months of travel, the cell service is needed anyway. The other required two months are thrown away when back in Argentina. So total true cost is $640 + if your state has tax. Less if trading-in. This is another reason every expat should keep Fi service forever. There is Zero cost, except when you need service travelling outside Argentina. The bonus is you can get a subsidized unlocked phone every year without the typical 2 year contract. Some Fi phone promos, like this one, require a current plan to even see the deal. Some require a port-in to create a new account like the cheap Pixels mentioned before. Both those cases have easy work around if do not meet those conditions.

Great info about the phone!

I just searched ML for the Samsung AO464G version and threre are many in stcck in the ML shiping center for delevery tomorrow at the price of $84.999, payable in three interest free cuotas of $28.333.

BUT, the OS is 12 and the UI core is 4.

The question I have is regarding the significance of the difference of the UI core (4 vs. 5).

I bought an A02 64G in August of 2021 and I have been very happy with it, but I am no longer getting notices for updates and I wonder how urgent it is to replace it (for security purposes).

Last edited:
Back