residency after having a child in Argentina!

Perhaps Davy will come back and tell us they were always planning on having a baby but didn't know until now that it meant permanent residency if the child is born in Argentina. Then we can all be happly for them...and the baby.

wow, I think we are being a little harsh on him.

I never planned to have a baby here, especially not for the purpose of seeking residency, but it happened and if our plans work out and we decide to live here it is probably are easiest chance to get citizenship.

Right now we are small family of three different nationalities (venezuelan, american, argentina) I find it necessary and important that we all have residency from the same country or citizenship of the same country just for the sake of being a family and sticking together. That's why these laws were made, so that families don't get torn apart.

I really doubt if this guy isn't even sure about the residency process that he would have a baby only for that purpose.

laureltp said:
wow, I think we are being a little harsh on him.

I never planned to have a baby here, especially not for the purpose of seeking residency, but it happened and if our plans work out and we decide to live here it is probably are easiest chance to get citizenship.

Right now we are small family of three different nationalities (venezuelan, american, argentina) I find it necessary and important that we all have residency from the same country or citizenship of the same country just for the sake of being a family and sticking together. That's why these laws were made, so that families don't get torn apart.

I really doubt if this guy isn't even sure about the residency process that he would have a baby only for that purpose.

You know the only thing that struck me as odd was the fact he mentioned they've only been living here for 4 months. Just seems strange that one would think about having a baby in a completely foreign country after just 4 months. But I guess we're all making assumptions at this point.

1) Good luck with the kids.

2) I still don't understand what's offensive about the term "anchor babies". If they are, the are. Why should that be offensive?

3) I might consider having an anchor baby in the near future. (Though I think my mother would prefer I have one with a girl back home, so that I'm anchored to the hometown and my mom can see me more often. Different kind of anchor, same effect.)

The only " research " you need to do is call immigration and ask them directly, unless that would make you feel uncomfortable to do so.

LA brought up a good point, 4 months in Argentina and you want to have your child here ? And the first thing that comes to mind is acquiring residency for the parents ?

Sounds a little odd. Wish you well, but I hope your not using the child for your own personal residency. That would be morally wrong.

davy said:
After days of research, and no clear answer I finally post

I think it is offensive when being used as a blanket statement that applies to all children born of immigrants.

If someone is having a child specifically for the purpose of obtaining residency in a country, then the term would apply but it is still an ugly term.

If someone is an immigrant to a country and after years of living in the country eventually marries and has a child not for residency purposes but just because their entire life is in that new country then labeling that child as an " anchor baby " is despicable.

It is a little eye opening just how many immigrants here are actually having children for the sole purpose of gaining residency.

Napoleon said:
1) Good luck with the kids.

2) I still don't understand what's offensive about the term "anchor babies". If they are, the are. Why should that be offensive?

3) I might consider having an anchor baby in the near future. (Though I think my mother would prefer I have one with a girl back home, so that I'm anchored to the hometown and my mom can see me more often. Different kind of anchor, same effect.)

AlexfromLA said:
It is a little eye opening just how many immigrants here are actually having children for the sole purpose of gaining residency.
The numbers are not only eye opening, they are alarming. Argentina has an immigartion problem that is pushing the infrastructure in schools, healthcare and etc to the bending limit. The proportion, on a percentage basis, may well be greater than that in the US or Europe.

Where are the numbers showing people having babies for the sole purpose of gaining residency? Is there any reliable data on this subject, or is it just speculation?

Some very ugly assumptions in this thread, considering that nobody knows this guy from adam.

jp said:
Where are the numbers showing people having babies for the sole purpose of gaining residency? Is there any reliable data on this subject, or is it just speculation?

Some very ugly assumptions in this thread, considering that nobody knows this guy from adam.

If you have a look at previous threads/PMs, I don't think the assumptions re the OP are completely out of thin air.
I heard from someone in immigrations a while back that a lot of Asian immigrants come over and have children to get residency so I don't think it's that far-fetched. I was also told in the same conversation (regarding my former perma-tourist status) to just "get married or have a baby!"
I guess if you've come over here, bought property, established a life only to suddenly get screwed by changes to the residency laws, its natural you're going to consider some of the other (limited) options... - without wanting to comment from a moral standpoint.

Ashley said:
I guess if you've come over here, bought property, established a life only to suddenly get screwed by changes to the residency laws, its natural you're going to consider some of the other (limited) options.

I agree that the changes really will "screw" some (if not many) of those who played by the rules and got their visa rentista when the income requirement was lower, but it's hard to feel terribly sorry for those who never complied in the first place (perma-tourists).

I also think that the increase in the income requirement for the visa rentista is driven by the fact that only a tiny fraction of temporary residents have been paying taxes on their foreign income as required by Argentine law and that it's logical to assume that the income of many (if not most) of them greatly exceed the former income requirement of $800 pesos per month.

Back