Residency Requirements for Citizenship

jonswearengin

Registered
Hello all,

I have been doing some research because I am eyeing the idea of becoming an Argentine dual citizen. I am currently an expat in China, so it seems advantageous to pursue another citizenship.
In the information I have found on the requirements, there's one vague part that I'm hoping someone can help me clarify on:
"Being over 18 years.
Have 2 years of uninterrupted residence and documented in the country, certified by the National Migration Directorate.
Birth certificate legalized by the Argentine consulate in the country of origin.
Photocopy of ID, passport.
Background certificate
Domicile certificate.
Justification of livelihoods: employment contract, current work certificate or salary receipt. In case of being autonomous, photocopy of receipt of contributions."

Does this mean that after I've worked in Argentina for 2 years I can apply for citizenship? Is temporary residency ok to have before applying or do I need permanent residency?
If anyone also has any recommendations on an immigration lawyer that will respond to me, please let me know!

Celano &Associates. They specialize in immigration. They did a great job for me.

Does this mean that after I've worked in Argentina for 2 years I can apply for citizenship? Is temporary residency ok to have before applying or do I need permanent residency?

It may vary from one judicial jurisdiction to another. Apparently all require two years of uninterrupted physical presence. I'm not absolutely sure, but I don't think permanent residency is now required. Nonetheless, you may be able to get permanent residency after two years if you have a "work" visa (as opposed to three years with the visa rentista or the visa pensionado).

If anyone also has any recommendations on an immigration lawyer that will respond to me, please let me know!

Argentine migraciones has nothing to do with the citizenship process. You will apply for citizenship at a federal court, so you will need a lawyer that specializes in citizenship.

Dr. Christian Rubilar (aka Bajo_cero2 in this forum) is a citizenship lawyer with a proven track record. If Aztangogirl got citizenship (as opposed to residency) through Celano & Associates, you might also want to talk to them before selecting a lawyer to represent you.

Thanks for your response @steveinbas. To your second point, my wording was not correct. I just wanted a contact that would respond to my questions before I make a big move like this. I want to be as informed as possible/weigh all options.
Let me see if Celano & Associates will respond, if not I'll use the contact you referenced. Thank you so much!

The residency required is continued but some judges ask for uninterrupted, but you can appeal it.

The new decree ask for legal residency, not permanent, but it is easy to by pass it.

Just walk around the villa with a thermos of hot water and a mate mug with one of those dirty bombillas and talk castellano loudly to trapitos across the street, preferably addressing them by "che ...." followed by affirmative body language don't ignore the remiseros either. Besides the social basics, wear a Mesi t-shirt and complaint about tarifas whenever possible because Argentines do not take belt-tightening very well and do need psychological support from just about anyone they know. All of the above will earn you an Argentine citizenship and guarantee cultural acceptance, you might even get your marriage arranged if you are single, in spite of not asking, if enough mate gets passed around and enough carbon gets burnt at the Sunday parilla; just please don't mind the 17 year old negra's incessant desire to talk and talk because listening and tolerating every Argentine whim is too, an inseparable part of your citizenship requirements.

P.S Make sure you buy mate in bulk and leave the packages on display (in garage and living room) for every visitor who might want to reassure your devotion to the Argentine culture.

Just walk around the villa with a thermos of hot water and a mate mug with one of those dirty bombillas and talk castellano loudly to trapitos across the street, preferably addressing them by "che ...." followed by affirmative body language don't ignore the remiseros either. Besides the social basics, wear a Mesi t-shirt and complaint about tarifas whenever possible because Argentines do not take belt-tightening very well and do need psychological support from just about anyone they know. All of the above will earn you an Argentine citizenship and guarantee cultural acceptance, you might even get your marriage arranged if you are single, in spite of not asking, if enough mate gets passed around and enough carbon gets burnt at the Sunday parilla; just please don't mind the 17 year old negra's incessant desire to talk and talk because listening and tolerating every Argentine whim is too, an inseparable part of your citizenship requirements.

P.S Make sure you buy mate in bulk and leave the packages on display (in garage and living room) for every visitor who might want to reassure your devotion to the Argentine culture.

There are not culture requirements, we are not in Germany.

The residency required is continued but some judges ask for uninterrupted, but you can appeal it.

The new decree ask for legal residency, not permanent, but it is easy to by pass it.
So bajo,we can’t get citizenship by illegal stay?

Back