Restaurant advice

lewitravel

Registered
Some of my family is coming over in a couple weeks to visit and they are veggies! One night we will be going for a meal with the other half's family and we will be about 15. I was planning on taking them to DF the Mexican restaurant but on guiaolea it is slated. I don't normally pay any attention but as it is a pretty important occasion I want to get it right.

Does anyone have any suggestions - I need a place that will cater to the asado side of the family yet also have veggie options for my lot.

I wanted to take them somewhere authentic but it might not be possible!

Sarkis has loads of tasty veggie options and the lamb is GREAT along with other meats. The Mexican here is super disappointing, I'd stear away from it all....

Suerte!

I wanted to take them somewhere authentic but it might not be possible![/quote]

How about one of those large tenedor libres that have a fantastic offering of salads, sushi, parilla, fish, pastas, deserts etc. As each station is indivually manned and food is cooked to order your friends could select some great vegetarian pasta orders or fish whilst the meat eaters get their fill of chorizos etc
The good tenedor libres are really good and hence packed to the door so you would need to book for 15 on a weekend - we used to take visitors to Cle on Rivadia and La plata. 60 pesos per person on a weekend night, cheaper during the week and quite frankly great local food. The chocolate fountain was a big hit for the kids of course!

I'm a vegetarian dating an Argentine carnivore, and we usually dine out at Juana M or Miranda.

Juana M has (I'm told) great beef, and the slammin' all-you-can-eat salad bar has lots of fun veggie options like cheeses, sun-dried tomatoes, roasted potatoes, eggplant, various fried things (they can order the salad bar alone, or get it free with another dish like the provoleta.)

Miranda in Palermo is another parrilla that actually has great vegetarian options. Their salads are some of the best I've had in BA (even though, in the last 2 years, they've gone up 20 pesos while diminishing 40% in size.) Their faina appetizer is also tasty (if a bit pricey.) Can't vouch for the quality of the other veggie dishes on the menu (pures, pastas, provoleta), but they definitely do have more choices than your average parrilla.

For Italian, I like La Parolaccia in Puerto Madero -- awesome pastas, but you have to ask whether or not the sauce has meat ingredients in it. You could always do pizza at Siamo nel Forno or Piola. I personally think that the veggie options at Sarkis are not so hot -- everything I've ordered has come out smothered in oil and salt (hence drowning out the natural flavors). I do think Middle Eastern is a great idea for mixed parties; I just don't think Sarkis is as wonderful as everyone says it is.

P.S. I ate Mexican food here once. It was the first and last time.

lewitravel said:
Some of my family is coming over in a couple weeks to visit and they are veggies! One night we will be going for a meal with the other half's family and we will be about 15. I was planning on taking them to DF the Mexican restaurant but on guiaolea it is slated. I don't normally pay any attention but as it is a pretty important occasion I want to get it right.

Does anyone have any suggestions - I need a place that will cater to the asado side of the family yet also have veggie options for my lot.

If at some point the veggie side need a meal on their own, they should check out http://www.kensho.com.ar/ in Palermo. The best. However, it won't fit your bill for something mixed for both vegetarians and non-vegetarians. So good options above though.

I agree that Sarkis is good...but NOT during a Friday or Saturday night. They don't seem to have any strict reservation policy (sometimes they've let me book a table, other times they've refused) but if you don't reserve a table, waiting times can be up to 2 hours.
If you want something authentic...and also for veggies, a lot of the nicer places are probably out. I'm a veggie and we go to Las Cabras all the time here (in Palermo Hollywood). They have another branch, Las Cholas in Las Canitas and one in Recoleta. Its a basic parilla, pretty crowded (normally have to wait 30 mins to be seated) but with a nice onda, decent meat dishes and some northern-style clay pot dishes (including veggie options).

lewitravel said:

DO NOT do Mexican in BA. It's abosulutely horrible almost everywhere.
If you want a great veggie place, go to artemisia. They don't serve beef but they do serve fish. I took my in law's there when they visited and everyone loved it.
But if you want the perfect mix of veggie, local and family-friendly, go to the Museo Evita. You won't regret it at all. The place is charming and the food is delicious.

I would agree that the food, including the seafood, at the cafe at Museo Evita is great. Its not a big place, though, you would need to reserve early.

True, mexican food is not good and expensive, i compensate by making Fajitas at home which are super tasty, and great use for the asado lefovers (we almost always over buy meat..so always have leftovers).

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The Mexican place was recommended to me by a local who likes heat believe or not. My own experience of cooking for the in-laws has been a bit of a disaster as any spice is treated like poison!
I will take my family out to try some veggie places and I'm looking forward to it but think for this occasion a buffet style place will fit the bill nicely.
Thanks again and if anyone thinks of any other place, let us know. Oh and it looks like my vegan aunt is coming over as well just to really kick me in the balls!

Back