Restaurant Recommendations

lbaron

Registered
Hi Everyone. My husband and I are returning to BA after a two year absence. Can you recommend some good restaurants? We the last time we were there, we enjoyed El Estilbo near Microcentro as our hang-out for a good parilla, but this time we will be living in Recoleta. We also love Italian, French and American food. Thank you for sharing your favorites with us.

Hi,welcome back to BsAs :) So, if you like to go to restaurants where many other foreinger will be so you are right at restaurant "El Establo" as you told to pay to much for what you get.I am living in BsAs since more than 2 years right now and I know many restaurants but each restaurant with the "gringo flair" I don't like in fact of the to high prices over 50 pesos per person (mostly without to drink good red wine).
There are many other restaurants where you can eat a lot of with much better prices. But mostly a foreigner don't know this. So the way even goes directly to one better know restaurant.Ok the other problem is that the prices goes up each 1/2 year in the restaurants and the result is that they have every 1/2 year less people and must close in fact of this. I know restaurants in very good location where you never thinking about this that this restaurant will be closed at anytime.bye schef4711

If you enjoy fresh fish, try Jangada. It's a Palermo favorite. They have an English menu in their site http://www.myspace.com/avanttclub
cheers

This fairly good online restaurant guide will probably serve you: http://www.guiaoleo.com.ar/
Almost every restaurant in CF is featured, and the site provides you with info about the type of cuisine, prices, accomodation and so on...

You should try MIRANDA in Costa Rica and Fitz Roy, thats my favorite. Also Greenbamboo, its in Costa Rica and Ravignani (or perhaps one block more).
For All you can eat Sushi, I go to ITAMAE in Palermo Soho, www.itamaesushi.com.ar , its not the best but its all you can eat !
In my opinion Nucha is the best for cakes and sweet things www.nuchacafe.com
;)

I agree with you on that except for Green Bamboo that restaurant was way over rated, not authentic, and not clean in my opinion. La Cabrera was real good have you tried that one?

If you want good authentic food, keep away from Palermo and Recoleta or any of the tourist areas. Eat where the locals eat, go to Belgrano or Villa Crespo look for the social clubs, just be adventurous, the glitzy tourist places may look inviting, but you will pay a heavy premium and never see how real Argentines eat.

"tangobob" said:
If you want good authentic food, keep away from Palermo and Recoleta or any of the tourist areas. Eat where the locals eat, go to Belgrano or Villa Crespo look for the social clubs, just be adventurous, the glitzy tourist places may look inviting, but you will pay a heavy premium and never see how real Argentines eat.

I agree, tourist traps have this fixed pricing because they know that tourists come in with money and everything appears to be cheap or reasonable if you're a tourist in Buenos Aires (plus they don't know of anywhere else to go), so the the restaurants there can charge a premium for convenience.
If you really want to eat where the locals eat, I would recommend this parillada called El Tano in Avellaneda, just across the bridge from Barracas & La Boca. It is at:Güemes, Av. 567 -
Avellaneda - Buenos Aires

Tel: 4265-2079
Price is $25 ARS all you can eat, drinks not included, and occasionally, you will find Independiente futbal players eating here. The place is very down to earth and always full of people. I would recommend that you go there with an empty stomach because everytime that I go there, I'm generally stuffed to the point that I could barely move. The owner would personally insist that I keep on eating by recommending and putting more foods to the table. He would even take requests for certain cuts, if it is available, and it's ready. If that is not service, I don't know what is... By the time it was for dessert, try the Don Pedro, it is REALLY gonnna knock you on your a$$, especially after having wine or beer, and yes, the food there is excellent. The meal is topped off with a complimentary glass of champagne and a good crawl back home. By the way, you probably will not be hungry for at least 24 hours afterwards. :)And hey tangobob, when you're in this side of town give me a shout.

Unfortunately most restaurants that are ethnic based ie indian, thai, vietnamese offer very small servings at inflated rates.
I had 2 very mediocre experiences of late in two ethnic restaurants The first one called Katmandu located on Cordoba in Almagro was one of the most disapointing meals I have had here.
I went there with a friend and had a light meal. We had one soft drink each and no deserts and the meal for two was 150 pesos. Now if the food was of high standard and the restaurant had a good ambience I would have been happy . The meal was the most measly I have ever encountered in an Indian Restaurant in the world. The main course had at most 50 grams of meat . To top it off rice was extra at 12 pesos a small plate.
Another restaurant I tried today in Palermo Viejo of Vietnamese origin was also a disappointment. I ordered the classic Pho Soup which for Vietnamese is the most basic snack food. Well at this place it came to 29 pesos in a bowl suitable as a palate cleanser no more.
Unfortunately there is a tendency here to underestimate the public and they do not try to capture the clients. If I had a new restaurant I would make sure I would have generous servings as well as cheaper prices to attract a loyal following. Lets hope some new entrepeneurs can revolutionise Buenos Aires dining scene.

I am not currently a resident of BA but visited for a month in March to take tango lessons. My tango teacher recommended 'Status' on Virrey Cevallos, a few blocks from the Congreso. I ate there three or four times--excellent food at reasonable prices. I'd go back.

There's also a fine Japanese restaurant sequestered in the Japanese Association building on Independencia between Piedras and Chacabuco. There's no sign indicating that a restaurant is there, but there is, and it opens at about 7:30 or 8:00 at night.

Back