Restaurants in Palermo

La Mar in Palermo has always been a favourite place for me. Been there last week and paid 100K for 2 with 2 margaritas and 3 mains to share and a dessert. This used to be max $35. They make great food but the prices gone up unbelievably. On the other hand; Oligario in Belgrano; two of us, very neat Belgrano parilla. Elegant. Great food. Meat coming out of our ears and some take back home. 30.000 for 2. Argentina getting more and more expensive for sure but still it’s a lot more affordable than anywhere in the first world. My tennis coach; best best best, USD 8.50. Massage at home usd 6.50. Spanish lessons 1 on 1 usd 6.00.
Can you recommend your tennis coach? May be looking for one soon

Tourism is up to about pre-pandemia levels. Which means a bit over 2 million a year. And of that, a tiny percentage are from the USA or Europe, the vast majority are Brazilian, Uruguayan, Chilean and Peruvian.
Here is a link to the last figures I can find for 2023, which goes thru September.
As you can see US and Euro tourists combined are usually at most 20% of the total.
So, around 400,000 a year.
Compare that to NYC, which gets 32 MILLION tourists a year, of whom 2 million or so are foreign.

https://turismo.buenosaires.gob.ar/es/observatorio/turistas-internacionales?dsd=SitL

In a city of the size of BA, tourism is really not as big of a driver as you may think.

Estimates I can find indicate all foreign tourism combined brings a bit over 1 billion dollars to the country. Which includes all those uruguayans coming to buy rubber boots and ag equipment.
The GDP of the country is 640 Billion in 2023. So all tourism combined is what- a fifth of a percent of the economy?

Tourism is up to about pre-pandemia levels. Which means a bit over 2 million a year. And of that, a tiny percentage are from the USA or Europe, the vast majority are Brazilian, Uruguayan, Chilean and Peruvian.
Here is a link to the last figures I can find for 2023, which goes thru September.
As you can see US and Euro tourists combined are usually at most 20% of the total.
So, around 400,000 a year.
Compare that to NYC, which gets 32 MILLION tourists a year, of whom 2 million or so are foreign.

https://turismo.buenosaires.gob.ar/es/observatorio/turistas-internacionales?dsd=SitL

In a city of the size of BA, tourism is really not as big of a driver as you may think.

Estimates I can find indicate all foreign tourism combined brings a bit over 1 billion dollars to the country. Which includes all those uruguayans coming to buy rubber boots and ag equipment.
The GDP of the country is 640 Billion in 2023. So all tourism combined is what- a fifth of a percent of the economy?

TKS Excellent data.

By heart of Recoleta I mean near calles Quintana, Avenida Alvear, Posadas.... or even Retiro

Way out of my price range ..! Fervor on Posadas $$$$ , Marcelo on Callao $$$$$. Cost per Person perhaps $30.000 pesos, with a moderate price wine..!

Way out of my price range ..! Fervor on Posadas $$$$ , Marcelo on Callao $$$$$. Cost per Person perhaps $30.000 pesos, with a moderate price wine..!
They aren't the only places in the area. Calle Ortiz in front of the cemetery is in the heart of Recoleta; someone here praised an inexpensive restaurant there. There must be others.

I’m in Carilo for some vitamin D. For those who do not know, it’s the St Tropez of Argentina. Great town center. Amazing houses. Beautiful people. Not so great sea. Great restaurants and prices are like last year!A lot cheaper than BsAs. Lunch for two in one of the popular beach clubs for 34000. Dinner for 29000. There’s something else going on in Palermo and beyond!

Maybe it’s because I recently moved here and I am still in the US mindset, but to me you can still eat well without spending a fortune in Buenos Aires. I am not the gourmet type, but yesterday I went to a local parilla and we ate a good bife mariposa, with fries and a glass of Malbec, spending around 15$ each. To put this into perspective: last September I went to visiting my daughter in (freaking) Newark, NJ and went out for a brunch. Nothing fancy but when I added a tip it ended up being around 25$ per person, for a brunch!

Back