Restaurants To Avoid

Funny, never once has a waiter there (or at any other restaurant in Argentina) expressed that preference to me.

Thank you, Phil - all these years I've been SO wrong.
side drift on thread.
I find a lot of wait staff jump on trying out their English as soon as they figure out thats what I speak. Its even a bit frustrating because I would rather try to muddle through in Spanish. Of course this is not in the usual touristy spots, I mostly try to avoid those.

side drift on thread.
I find a lot of wait staff jump on trying out their English as soon as they figure out thats what I speak. Its even a bit frustrating because I would rather try to muddle through in Spanish. Of course this is not in the usual touristy spots, I mostly try to avoid those.

Many waiters try to show their English is better than our Spanish. Which is not necessarily so!

So many of us expect to be treated like royalty and for others to kowtow to our demands when going to a restaurant these days.

I am glad we are all in Argentina so that our illustrious egos can be tamed by a local waiter.

As long as we're drifting off the thread, anyone else as amused as I am when you see menus in English?

Funny, never once has a waiter there (or at any other restaurant in Argentina) expressed that preference to me.

I've never asked the waiters about their preferences but the last time I went to cabrera, which, I admit, was a few years ago, I overheard more english being spoken in the restaurant than spanish.

As long as we're drifting off the thread, anyone else as amused as I am when you see menus in English?

Yes. I've often felt like sending an email to the owner telling him that for $100 I would correct his horrible translations into something more understandable.

I've never asked the waiters about their preferences but the last time I went to cabrera, which, I admit, was a few years ago, I overheard more english being spoken in the restaurant than spanish.

Definitely among the diners, especially in the last five years or so. But even when a waiter starts speaking English at me, I carry on - I have confidence that my "dining Spanish" is very good.

I had a conversation with an Argentino buddy about the idea of offering one's services to polish up menus, web sites, etc, and have even offered to do it for businesses on occasion. He says they probably feel insulted, because, "It was most likely a translation by someone who thinks their English is perfect." :lol:

Café Margot http://www.cafemargot.com.ar/que-notable.php

Food was delicious, staff competent and friendly. That said I can't recommend it as the ambiance was morbid and two hamburgers(the only beef meat on a 25 page menu) + a fry cost me 13usd. I enjoy serenity when having a meal, without having the impression that someone just died. 6/10

Food was delicious, staff competent and friendly. That said I can't recommend it as the ambiance was morbid and two hamburgers(the only beef meat on a 25 page menu) + a fry cost me 13usd. I enjoy serenity when having a meal, without having the impression that someone just died. 6/10
Hmm on their website they seem to mention offering quite a large amour of beef

I went trough the 25 pages of the menu 3 times. Never saw it. I do not doubt they serve meat and that it is great.

Back