Retirement age to be raised to 75

The highest retirement age in the world is in countries like Greece and Norway... 67, while the life expectancy in Argentina is currently 75.
Until something official actually comes out, I can't help but suspect but in the mix of some frenzied anti-Milei reporting bandwagon and/ or clumsy government spokesperson, someone mixed up the "s" in 65 with the "t" in "75"... while also considering the issue being discussed is the difference that one sex can currently retire at 60 and the other at 65.

Anyway, the concept of retiring in Argentina on a public pension (Minimum around ARS 270.000, while an average pension is less than ARS 400.000 and the absolute maximum for high lifetime earners is ARS 2.000.000ish...variable "bonus" included) has been for the past decades and remains to be a ridiculous concept for the vast majority of pensioners and workers since private pensions were ended and expropriated by CFK in 2008 and were entirely pesofied.

Increasing the age doesn't change the miserable fact that without working or having a supplemental income (family support, passive private investments like rental properties or having made additional contributions to a private fund on top of mandatory contributions to the state) the vast majority of Argentines face a very difficult reality in old age despite many of them having paid in to the pension system all their lives.

Does he actually have the power to do this? I have no clue how politics works here

Does he actually have the power to do this? I have no clue how politics works here
Congress would have to pass a law doing so. It's political suicide for those who vote in favor so I doubt it will be successful.

No - Argentina is a democracy.

I would take the story and the title of this thread as "fake news" given the absence of any official position, policy or draft on the subject and using just a little bit of common sense. A quick search and you will also note that it is absent from mainstream media - odd given how utterly bizarre, not to mention controversial, it would be for any country to have a minimum retirement age of 75, no?

Unfortunately we have a president with a character that is capable of generating both die-hard fans and rabid foes to the point of delusion. They get off on disinformation. Neither of these groups can be taken too seriously and there is always a "gil" ready to take the bait.

Back