Visa (Business?? Retirement??)

amesfarmer

Registered
I am trying to figure out what kind of visa I should pursue. I make enough money monthly in stock dividends to retire at my current age of 49 in BA. I would, however, like to keep working. I was thinking of opening a laundromat that would have self service, coin operated machines. There would also be a lounge selling snacks, coffee...etc. My thought is that self service should be able to be offered at a lower price. Also, the time to get clothes back is just the time it takes to wash and dry. Is there a need for a self service laundromat in Buenos Aires? What do people currently spent to have clothing washed, dried and folded for them. What kind of wait time is there to get the clothes back? Thank you for any help you can provide.

I still have a lot of research to do. It may well be in my best interest to just retire and get a part-time, work from home job that pays into a US bank account.

A quick look at the business barriers show that I can avoid some of them. I will not have imports (Whirlpool has opened a factory and made a huge investment in Argentina). I will also have less than 10 employees and will not own property. You are correct though. It does seem like all the regulation makes things difficult.

My favorite subject:

1. Currently pay $1200 pesos for fluff and fold at around the corner Laundry service
  2. Delivered before 10 AM ready by 3 PM
  3. Many laundry outlets around the area
  4. Not aware of self service laundromat
  5. Many laundry services run by ONE Chinese/immigrant employee
  6. Is there a need for a self service laundromat in B.A. ?

My favorite subject:

1. Currently pay $1200 pesos for fluff and fold at around the corner Laundry service
Thanks for sharing your experience!

My favorite subject:

1200 pesos per KG?

I'm curious: although you mention stocks and dividends in your preamble, you seem really interested in the laundry business: is there a special reason for this? In different parts of the city there seems to be a recent growth in interest in artesanal beers and foods and these and other businesses might seem a more obvious fit for an incomer.

As other people have already said, it's important you do your due diligence around local laws and practices and see whether your business idea - any business idea - can thrive in the current climate. And as ever, a few thousand dollars spent on your making a trip here to see the situation on the ground from your own eyes may be the best investment you ever made - even -especially- if it persuades you not to start something akin to pouring money into a hole in the ground.

A laundromat was just an idea sparked by some posts I have seen from people complaining that there is nowhere to do their own laundry. I would rather not open a business at all, but I am trying to find the best way to get into the country with enough security to know I can stay. I would like to put my son in school and get an appartment without having to worry about leaving the country every 90 days to reset the clock. I am planning a trip during Thanksgiving an hope to set up some fact-finding appointments. Also, I have contacted an immigration attorney (Celano & Associates) to look at all my options for entering the country.
I'm curious: although you mention stocks and dividends in your preamble, you seem really interested in the laundry business: is there a special reason for this? In different parts of the city there seems to be a recent growth in interest in artesanal beers and foods and these and other businesses might seem a more obvious fit for an incomer.

As other people have already said, it's important you do your due diligence around local laws and practices and see whether your business idea - any business idea - can thrive in the current climate. And as ever, a few thousand dollars spent on your making a trip here to see the situation on the ground from your own eyes may be the best investment you ever made - even -especially- if it persuades you not to start something akin to pouring money into a hole in the ground

A laundromat was just an idea sparked by some posts I have seen from people complaining that there is nowhere to do their own laundry. I would rather not open a business at all, but I am trying to find the best way to get into the country with enough security to know I can stay.
it wii not be possible to enter the country as a tourist and start a small business (like a laundromat) which will lead to a resident visa which would "allow" you to stay year round.

Even though there is a category called an "investor" visa, it appears.to be impossible to qualify for one. If you get a visa rentista, then you could open a small.business, but doing so might end your desire to live in Argentina.

A passive income of $2000 USD per person is now required for the visa rentista. You won't be able to get a retirement visa if the investments (sticks and bonds) are in your name and not from a lifetime government or private pension or (at least in my case when I applied for temporary residency), an irrevocabĺe trust.

Back