Revelations About Falklands War

OK, I dig. But if getting too expensive for Great Britain to operate there and defend its citizens, possible bringing in the Chinos to bankroll in order to excavate,explore for the Petloleo ? And make it a "three ways venture"...

What is in it for the Argentine political class? They would lose one of the greatest rally cries they have when the population is unhappy with their lousy job. Again, disputed islands are much more valuable and useful.

OK, I dig. But if getting too expensive for Great Britain to operate there and defend its citizens, possible bringing in the Chinos to bankroll in order to excavate,explore for the Petloleo ? And make it a "three ways venture"...

Its not that expensive, they use the islands for training and stuff too.

The islanders opened up the zones around the islands for exploration and sold the rights to the highest bidder, no Chinese were the highest bidder afaik.

There was an agreement in 1995 to explore international waters between the islands and Argentina, Nestor pulled out of those in 2007.

The only way Argentina will get the islands is if they convince the islanders that becoming Argentine is a good idea or take it to the ICJ and win.

3) The moment the Islands are returned to Argentina, they lose any and all political value they might have for the Argentine ruling elites. The Islands are much more valuable politically in the hands of the Brits, since they can be used by the Argentine politicians to rally the masses and distract them from the local problems.

You said a mouthful there. If the islands were offered tomorrow, I wonder how fast Xina's party would be backpedaling.

2) The current residents have absolutely no desire whatsoever to become Argentines.

If I was one of them I would go to any means required to avoid becoming part of Argentina or Argentinian. In other words give be me liberty from being Argentinian or give me death. Fortunately I do not have to worry about that. Sadly perhaps they do to some degree. Imagine being doomed into the life of an Argentinian.The only worse fates would be Venezuela or Cuba.

Back