Rip Off Agency, How Else Can We Hire?

86andcounting

Registered
Want to share an experience we had a few weeks back to avoid anyone getting possibly ripped off and as well asking you others way to find the help we require. We needed to hire a maid/housekeeper so we contacted a local agency in the centre of San Isidro. We told them what we were looking for and they kept sending us candidates to interview that clearly did not fit our requirements. The agency kept pushing them but we said no. Finally there was one that was ok, so decided to offer her the job, for a week later when we would return from a trip. Then the agency kept calling, texting, emailing asking for their comission. We Told them we would make an immediate transfer the day the maid started working, that we had all the intention of paying it, but first she would need to show up for work. They wanted their money in the moment and kept harrasing us, to the point of calling my husband and saying: "Usted sabe lo que es Robar?" basically calling him a thief. When interviewing 3 of the ladies that did not fit our profile (actually we were not what they were looking for either) it came out that the agency tells them to take the job, and tells them that in a week they can leave the job. Of course, after we have paid the commission which is basically one month salary! One also said that they never even asked for her proof of address or checked her police records, as the agency claims they do. The agency has a "guarantee" that in 60 days they will provide up to 2 replacements if it doesn't work out. I'm sure they will, but they will just send you anyone, not what we need. On top of that... While we were away, our current maid said the agency called our house to inquire if we were really traveling and even offered her a job. The maid we were supposed to hire did not show up and needless to say we do not want to deal with that agency. As far as I'm concerned this is a type of Scam. I thought this hapened to us because they wanted to take advantage of foreigners, but it seems it is quite common.

Locals have now told us NOT to deal with agencies, but what can we do if we are not from here? We are now afraid to trust agencies but we really need to hire one ASAP. Everyone says to ask around but when you are an expat recently arrived we really don't know many people.

If anyone can help us, tell us sources, can ask around, etc this is what we need: full time maid (live-in if possible) for a 2 adult household in San Isidro for general cleaning duties and basic cooking, 35 years plus who is able to stay at the house when we travel; must love animals.

Thank you! Please PM me if you know someone.

I suggest you start a criminal case at san isidro federal criminal court.

For what? The maid didn't ever start and they didn't pay any money to the agency. So what grounds would they have for suing?

To the OP - I haven't used them but I know several people who have had great luck with using her company to find domestic help (cleaners, nannies, etc). This is the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/NDConsultora The owner is a mom and a member of an expat moms group.

Back