Riverplate riots

HeyBA said:
Ok, rioting isn't good, but I think of River as kind of that perpetual underdog in the national rivalries, and as far as I understand, they just got sent down TO THE MINOR LEAGUES!

This is like the Mets or the Red Sox or Liverpool getting sent down, you'd have riots in the streets!

You must be a johnny-come-lately.

River is the richest club in Argentina. River has won more league titles than any other team in Argentina by a sizable margin. River = NY YANKEES, not the Mets. But look at it as the NY Yankees in the late '80s, early '90s. The Mets had some good years and the Yanks couldn't put it together. Even the movie "City Slickers", they ask about the Mets score, but their first memory was of a Yankee Game.

This is the Yankees going down. Liverpool might be acceptable as well, because until this past season, they were tied for the all-time lead in EPL Titles. But then they've been shitting the bed under the Hicks-Gillette leadership. (Though it started before that.)

But anyway...

The riots were expected and because of that, I think that they were kept to a minimum. They weren't nearly as bad as they would have been if River had won 1-0 in Cordoba and then returned to lose 0-2. Now THEN the police wouldn't have been as prepared and the fires in Nuñez wouldn't have been just piles of rubbish in the middle of the street.

i couldnt help but laugh and see grown men crying and just acting like little spoiled kids who want mommy to buy them a toy but mommy says no. one guy was just crying hysterical......they looked like brats.

wow.

and then the riots started...... they actually looked like animals in the wild.

its quite interesting seeing human reaction when it comes to these types of situations. you see how uncivilized human beings are...

EDIT: maybe they were crying cause they lost a bet? or they went crazy cause they lost a bet which included the house, kids, wife, car, etc. i dunny i am really trying to understand the reason why they went ape shit.

Hey Napoleon, yeah I'm relatively new, so thanks for the background...

Point being, not surprised at any riots when a big team takes a knock. I couldn't imagine New York if this happened to the Yankees, or Mets for that matter.

HeyBA said:
Point being, not surprised at any riots when a big team takes a knock.
You should have seen them burning one of the train stations in BsAs in 2006 or 7, because a train was blocking the traffic for two hours.:D

Actually it is fortunate that it was as contained as it was... and even more so, it is patedic to see River to go B.. I do not have words for that :eek:. All the fans support and money producing a B team something is wrong with this picture. Perhaps the world really is coming to and end in 2012!

I am a Boca fan but watching this happen to River Plate even depressed me a bit.. WTF!

There is nothing that special about fans reaction here: on my first trip to Italy, the very first night - it was scary, feels like a war.. But it was just a celebration - some team won!
Here, I have a nut neighbor the next door - the guy opens his window - not minding the weather - with what seems like each goal in all the countries - to scream on the top of his langs " goal! goal!" And - were you here when Argentina lost word championship? The flags went down!
Take it as specific of Latino national character..

I think it is worth pointing out that the rioting was caused by only a small percentage of the fans who were actually there and does not reflect the majority of River fan.

While I am a Boca fan, I know a lot of River fans who are good people and would never take part in the riots that occurred. We should not let a few barra bravas influence what we think about all of the team's fans.

Back