Riverplate riots

tomdesigns said:
Actually it is fortunate that it was as contained as it was... and even more so, it is patedic to see River to go B.. I do not have words for that :eek:. All the fans support and money producing a B team something is wrong with this picture. Perhaps the world really is coming to and end in 2012!

And this is a soccer league system where the average of 3 years determines your position not the year itself which seems another WTF process? Basically means a team can have a brilliant year, nearly win the league but still be relegated.... Maybe the rest of the world should try it..olympics with best of 3 tries at the 100 metres....
Disclaimer: I'm a woman, talking about football..in other words no clue.

TASinBA said:
Take it as specific of Latino national character..

It's not specific to the Latino national character -- it's happened in every major Canadian city with the exception of Calgary -- and not just after hockey games, but after baseball -- baseball, the most boring (sorry) sport in the world, where die hard fans might as well be statisticians. I also believe a few cities in the USA have had their share of sports riots, and certainly in the UK there have been incidences.

It's not due to being from a particular part of the world, it's mob mentality, and once a few people start to act up the feeling can sweep through the crowd very very quickly, and people that normally would not act out become capable of doing terrible things.

I know someone posted that his River friends would never do that -- and I'm sure he's right, but often people that you not characterize as being able to get caught up in something like that are the ones that get swept up in the moment.

For instance in the Vancouver riots of a couple of weeks ago, one of the young men that came forward and handed himself over to police was caught on camera stuffing a shirt that he had lit on fire into the gas tank of a police car -- the man is 18, honour roll student, on the National Water Polo team and was supposed to be on his way to the US on a full scholarship for university in the fall -- he's been banned from the team and his scholarship may be revoked. His parents are both professionals and he's from an upper class suburb of town -- he certainly doesn't fit the "profile" of someone that would break the law, but caught up in the moment he behaved as he did.

It's not a Latino thing -- it's a mob mentality thing.

fifs2 said:
And this is a soccer league system where the average of 3 years determines your position not the year itself which seems another WTF process? Basically means a team can have a brilliant year, nearly win the league but still be relegated.... Maybe the rest of the world should try it..olympics with best of 3 tries at the 100 metres....
Disclaimer: I'm a woman, talking about football..in other words no clue.

When you don't find sense, look for motives. River should have descended to the second division in '83, when the finished last. All of a sudden, AFA came up with this "brilliant idea", and River stayed in the first division. Obviously, the AFA geniuses didn't come up with something even better this time.

The guys in my group of in-laws would not even talk about River before the match. I can only guess what they are thinking now.

This is bad for soccer in Argentina -- especially if River doesn't get back to the top division soon.

Hache said:
When you don't find sense, look for motives. River should have descended to the second division in '83, when the finished last. All of a sudden, AFA came up with this "brilliant idea", and River stayed in the first division. Obviously, the AFA geniuses didn't come up with something even better this time.

it's not too late yet. Look for that rule to be tweaked in the next month or so, possibly leading to the top division being expanded by one or two teams.

if the rule does stay as it is, River are going to find it working against them when they come back up as newly promoted teams have the system weighed against them. For that reason too, the AFA will probably decide it all needs "looking at".

This is not right. The system had been used before and was reintroduced in 1983. However, the decision to use it was taken in 1981 just after San Lorenzo descended to the second division.

I'm surprised the riots were a cause for shock. I'm from the UK, and unfortunately football voiolence is widespread. There are groups of fans who go to games just to fight. Unfortunately it's nothing out of the ordinary...sport..violence. Its just a small group of idiots who use sport as a reason to let out their agression. Here i think it's a bit more extreme, but it happens everywhere

If nothing else at least the city has at least a week of something to talk about besides inflation, crime and deadly automobile accidents!

So now they are talking about closing the stadium for 20 matches. This means River Plate will have to find another venue for all of its home games during their first year in the Nacional B.

That'll mean much less revenue per match for River. That combined with fewer income from TV rights will make River's financial situation even worse. But I'm sure that by selling a few players they can make up for it ;)

Back