Road Trip In Brazil. Advice?

Do you speak Portuguese? I'm just envisioning making a wrong turn somewhere or negotiating street parking with an "attendant" and running into trouble.

Driving in Buenos Aires vs Sampa/Rio is like Hamburg vs Los Angeles ... my 2 cents.

Rio right now is definitely more stressful than Sao Paulo. The rapid increase in income in Rio enabled everyone to buy new cars, I know a family of 3 that each has their own car even though no one works farther than 3 miles away from their apartment. With all these new cars on old roads that still haven't been expanded enough for the upcoming games, traffic is a nightmare. Oh and the exploding manholes.

Comparing the cost of gasoline and the peso/real I would think it would be cheaper and more importantly less stressful to take a bus with the family. Here's the bus link so you can compare http://www.buscaonibus.com.br/en

Either way Boa Viagem e boa sorte!

Driving in Buenos Aires vs Sampa/Rio is like Hamburg vs Los Angeles ... my 2 cents.

I think driving in Rio vs. Sao Paulo are very different experiences. Paulistas in general are very good at obeying and following traffic laws. The problem is that there are so many cars that driving is miserable pretty much anywhere in the city at any time during the day.
Rio in the other hand, the problem of too many cars is compounded by the fact that the cariocas drive like portenos, which makes an already bad situation even worse.

Back