Roku, Chromecast with Google TV, Amazon Fire Stick in Argentina

Excellent. Might purchase it. Never used Fire Stick before but sounds like might be a good choice.

Can you watch Aljazeera on there? What about CBSN? Or are they geoblocked in Argentina?

I have an Amazon Firestick I bought in Germany, and it works here. You can use it with local versions of Netflix and Amazon Primevideo. However, when it comes to the American live news, without the VPN you are not getting the same service as you would get in the USA. For sure, you can install a CBS application, but when you open it, you will see a few pre-recorded programs and not a 24x7 live news stream.

I have an Amazon Firestick I bought in Germany, and it works here. You can use it with local versions of Netflix and Amazon Primevideo. However, when it comes to the American live news, without the VPN you are not getting the same service as you would get in the USA. For sure, you can install a CBS application, but when you open it, you will see a few pre-recorded programs and not a 24x7 live news stream.

Oh well. Sounds like Al Jazeera English will work at least. What about Youtube?

I have Dish Satellite set up at my dad's house and use their Dish Anywhere app anywhere there's a decent internet connection. No VPN needed. If you set up service at a relative's house you can put on all the movie channels if you like. The app is on the Firestick. Places I have used it? Mexico, Colombia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Georgia, Ukraine, Albania, and others. My understanding is only a few countries, like China, restrict access. The one thing I can't do with it is order pay-per-view.

Which one of these work in Argentina, preferrably without having to connect it through a VPN? Also, which do you recommend?
Even though you requested opinions regarding the lack of a VPN, ordering a pre-configured VPN router and purchasing a reasonable VPN plan will really open up a lot of options for you far beyond the ability to bypass geo-restrictions of certain apps for entertainment. The google voice Obihai ATA device for example will work very well if you are connected to a VPN router (with a US IP). Your logins also won't trigger "strange activity". You benefit from the general VPN advantages regarding privacy. The Roku also works perfectly. You are essentially resigning your "expat" status in the digital realm.

Even though you requested opinions regarding the lack of a VPN, ordering a pre-configured VPN router and purchasing a reasonable VPN plan will really open up a lot of options for you far beyond the ability to bypass geo-restrictions of certain apps for entertainment. The google voice Obihai ATA device for example will work very well if you are connected to a VPN router (with a US IP). Your logins also won't trigger "strange activity". You benefit from the general VPN advantages regarding privacy. The Roku also works perfectly. You are essentially resigning your "expat" status in the digital realm.

Good to know. I have already a good VPN plan, but I imagine I’ll be living in AirBNB for a while, so probably no router configurations for a while.

I use Chromecast and Firestick. No problems with either. Chromecast is my favorite

By Chromecast you mean Chromecast with Google TV I assume? I have one of the early Chromecast models and I believe it was a poor investment. I hardly use it, has no remote, needs apps on the phone to run Youtube and such.

By Chromecast you mean Chromecast with Google TV I assume? I have one of the early Chromecast models and I believe it was a poor investment. I hardly use it, has no remote, needs apps on the phone to run Youtube and such.

I use Chromecast to project my pc onto my tv. The pc controls the content. My tv remote controls the volume. I can project Netflix, Youtube, Amazon Prime Video, or any website without problems.
I also have Apple TV for the kids.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
nlaruccia Expat Life 30
F Expat Life 6
Back