Running/ Cycling in BA?

Zack26.2

Registered
I'm distance-runner and triathlete, hoping to accept a temporary position in BA beginning this fall. I'd love to keep up with my training while I'm down there and compete in some events in the region (BA Marathon, Punta Del Este Half-Ironman, maybe even Ironman Brazil). Just wondering if anyone had some insight on what training might be like down there.

From my travels to BA, it seems like cycling within the city would be difficult due to traffic, although there appears to be a small cycling community, so perhaps not impossible.
  • Assuming there is somewhere to ride, could I safely do this alone (i.e. would a lone gringo riding an expensive looking bike be a target for robbery?) or should it be a priority to find a group to ride with?
  • Would it be more cost effective to transport my mediocre road bicycle from the US or buy one of similar quality once I get down there?
  • I'm sure there is great cycling outside of the city, how feasible would it be to get my bike out there without having a car?
Similar questions for running... I don't remember there being a strong running culture when I was there in 2007, but I also don't remember it being like other Latin American countries (i.e. Mexico) where jogging within the city is mostly unheard of.
  • How feasible would it be to go on an 8 mile training run on weekday mornings, or a 13 to 20 mile run on weekends?
  • Would running alone and/or with an ipod be overly risky?
Given my situation (good salary, working in banking district, trying to be active), I'm thinking Palermo might be my best living option. I'm open to other suggestions though.

Thanks for any thoughts on my rant.

The Bosques de Palermo are frequented by joggers and cyclists. It is a large network of inter-connected parks near the river in the east of Palermo. As long as you don´t run/ride to late in evening you will fine and surrounded by people. And I have been robbed twice here!

The other nice place is the Parque Ecologica right on the river east of downtown. There are only two entraces. I know one is at the bottom of Estados Unidos, the other is somewhere Cordoba I think. Check a map. Wide paths lots of joggers and rider. It closes fairly early so check first. Its nice on the weekends because there is little traffic to kill you and you pretty much ride through Palermo Bosquesand onñd a litte bit of time on the roads.

Have fun and always be very careful riding on roadways. Drivers hereare all mad

Richard

You'll be able to do it, but probably get bored with a lot of the same scenery over time (Bosques are bigger and more varied than the ecologia, where if you want to really run 8+ miles you'll feel like a hamster on a wheel). If you felt comfortable you can shake it up a bit by riding your bike out of CapFed and then running (more up the coast towards San Isidro/Tigre area). Good luck!

Bosques de Palermo is definitely the best place. Buenos Aires constantly has races so you will be very happy! Cycling is a little tricky but the bosques as well as the Parque ecologica (as already mentioned) are good places.

I run by myself all the time in Palermo and all that happens if I get stopped to be asked for directions a lot.

Everybody who posted is completely wrong. I´m sure you are well meaning, but thats about as far as it goes.

Almost all the triathaletes and cyclists train at KDT. It costs 3 pesos to get in. It is off Salgero behind Paseo Alcorta shopping. They have a 1.2 k course that is closed to cars. There is bike garage and a mechanic in the pro shop. They also have a restruant. Tuesdays 12-7, Thursdays12 -7, Saturdays10-1 and Sundays10-1 are the most popular days. You will find all level of cyclists there. Sturgla trains there, just won the Brazil Ironman and once came in tenth in Hawai. It is closed Mondays.

You will also find a peloton going around Parque Saramiento. < You will need a car to get there. You are correct there is no future in riding in the street here. Forget about training in bosques de Palermo, roller bladers, tourists, hockey games, rental 6 person bikes, nobody trains there.

As for running. there are various groups and lots of places.

Hi, I'm a cicylist and maybe and I hope that I can help you out. KDT is a very good place to train. If you have an expensice road bike you can rent a locker and keep your bike there. Many of my triathlete friends train there. Parque Sarmiento is about 5km long and is an excellent place to train. There are many pelatones so you can enter the track and join anyone. It's a good place for either mountain or road bike. Cyclists train there Saturdays and Sundays early in the morning and during the week around 7pm. Many cyclists start in Parque Sarmiento and go in pelatones on the Colectora Panamericana, which takes you past Nordelta to Benavidez. You can easily do 70 kilometers and there's little traffic Sunday mornings so there's no worry about cars. Because they're are few potholes you will be able to train at high velocity, 30 to 45km/hour. Many cicylist train there, and there are many groups that meet in Zona Norte, about twenty minutes north of the city and train in Las Palmas de Pilar. There are other groups that train in Zona Oeste. One of the best ways to meet other cicylists and join groups is to go to KDT or Parque Sarmiento where many groups and professional athletes train that can guide. Hope that helps!

Back