Ruta 40 Paved?

hutch85

Registered
Hey everyone,

Long time since I've been to Argentina and to these forums. I used to live in Bariloche and always found great information here. My question for you now: does anyone know if ruta 40, specifically the portion south of Bariloche, is fully paved yet? When I was there several years ago, the project was ongoing. Just wondering if anyone has an update or whether the project is finished. Thanks for the help!

Patrick

Hey everyone,

Long time since I've been to Argentina and to these forums. I used to live in Bariloche and always found great information here. My question for you now: does anyone know if ruta 40, specifically the portion south of Bariloche, is fully paved yet? When I was there several years ago, the project was ongoing. Just wondering if anyone has an update or whether the project is finished. Thanks for the help!

Patrick

I drove much of the route in February and March, though not the segment between Río Mayo and Perito Moreno (the town), which has always been the roughest part. It's paved from Perito Moreno south to Gobernador Gregores, and from El Calafate north to Tres Lagos. Between Tres Lagos and Gregores there's a lot of work underway, but I wouldn't say it's close to finished.

In many areas, the degree of "progress" is overstated because the government has renumbered existing paved routes, which in some cases has made RN 40 longer. The best example is southern Santa Cruz province, where 148 km of already paved RP 7 from Tapi Aike to La Esperanza and RP 5 from Esperanza to El Cerrito are now RN 40. This allowed them to skip paving the 65 km from Tapi Aike to El Cerrito (which is still gravel, though perfectly passable).

I personally don't know the answer but the following may help:

http://www.ahoracalafate.com.ar/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=17460:ruta-40-faltan-250-km-para-completar-la-pavimentacion-en-santa-cruz&catid=40:regionales&Itemid=112

You can look up each section here to see if it is 'Pavimento' or 'RIPIO' : http://www.vialidad.gov.ar/partes/index.php?cboProvincia=13&cboRuta=28&verResultado=Consultar

Thanks for the replies guys! Sorry I didn't respond sooner (didn't have my notifications on). Sounds like a good chunk more of it is paved now than it was 3 years ago.

Back