Súperbowl Watch party

No, you're right. I started watching NFL football in 1972. When you grew up watching QB's like Terry Bradshaw, John Elway, Bob Griese, Dan Fouts, Joe Montana, Roger Staubach, Ken Stabler and Jim Plunkett, it's hard to be impressed by the talent of today.

Go look at Ranker.com for the best QB's of all time for the Steelers, Broncos, Dolphins, Chargers, 49ers, Cowboys, and Raiders. You'll find the QB's I named at the top of the list, and they all played in the era 1971-86. There has simply never been a generation of quarterbacks to match them since.

The year before the pandemic started, I actually watched LFL in its tenth and final season, and those women played more entertaining football, more fun to watch, than what I see in the NFL today. Granted, it was only arena football, on a 50-yard field with not much of a kicking game, but those women played their hearts out. And they played with amazing skill, when you consider that there is no high school, college, or even Pop Warner for women to learn from. KK Mathey was an absolute gunslinger, and she was a basketball player through her school days. Most of the women in the LFL came from either basketball or track and field backgrounds. It was amusing how much they started acting like...well...football players. Slapping each other on the ass and fighting and pirate mouth from hell.

LFL was truly impressive when you consider that it started as a drunken fratboy yuk-yuk concept one-off for halftime, "let's git a buncha wimmen to play football in their underwear!". But those women played so well that they really impressed people, and it actually turned into a real league that lasted 10 years. But the pandemic killed it, and I don't think it's coming back.

But it sure was entertaining while it lasted. They ran some half-crazy plays you almost never see in the NFL, double reverses, and halfback options, and one absolutely brilliant hook-and-ladder that I remember well.

Anyhow, I'm rambling on here....
Your age and bias is showing. With the exception of Elway and Montana, all of the QBs you mentioned would be trash today likely. Defenders are bigger, stronger, and faster today. The overall competition is a lot higher. QBs of the past were also given time to become better QBs and all of them practically never had to worry about being replaced within the first few years. They had much longer times playing as starters. Now a days, if you have a bad first year you might be gone the second. One of the best QBs of all time, Payton Manning, was complete trash "stats wise" his first 2 years. If you don't enjoy today's NFL then ok fine. But to say the QBs of the past were better is just plain ridiculous.

Exactly. Another great who started in the 80s, which is precisely Red's point.
Brady started his NFL career in 2000. It’s obvious that Red didn’t watch the last few playoff games, because if he did he wouldn’t be comparing the NFL with a female football league and expect to be taken seriously.

Oh. Well, I know very little about American football, but I assumed given all the fuss about his longevity in the game that he must date back to at least Red's era.

Q: How do you know you are getting old?
A: When they start marvelling about a sportsman's incredible longevity but you then discover he only began in 2000, a year in which you were already pining for the good old days.

This newsletter is bursting with random bits of Super Bowl trivia, so why don’t we just kick off the proceedings now?

Country star Mickey Guyton will be singing the national anthem before the game, and the big question is how long she’ll take to sing it: The over/under is set at 1:38.

• Since Whitney Houston’s memorable anthem at the 1991 Super Bowl, anthems have averaged 1:56.
  • Some performers who have reallydrawn it out are Lady Gaga in 2016 (2:22) and Alicia Keys in 2013 (2:36).
  • In Guyton’s last two public performances of the anthem, she’s breezed through it at 1:23 and 1:30.
We’ll take the o’er on 1:38.
Neal Freyman, Jamie Wilde, Matty Merritt
The Super Bowl between the LA Rams and the Cincinnati Bengals will kick off tomorrow at Los Angeles’s SoFi Stadium. After no Super Bowl team in history had played the game at their home stadium, it’s now happened two seasons in a row. Unprecedented times indeed.

To make sure you’re the person at the party everyone asks to please stop talking by halftime, here are the major storylines and stats to get you prepared for the big game.

Overview: The Super Bowl will begin at 6:30pm ET on NBC and Peacock. A record 117 million people are expected to watch it, equivalent to 35% of the US population.

Gambling: This year’s Super Bowl is shaping up to be a betting bacchanal. Thanks to a wave of states legalizing sports betting over the past year, more than 100 million people in the US are able to place wagers on the game. With $7.6 billion expected to be bet legally on the Super Bowl (up 78% from last year), some observers argue that newly legalized gambling could forever reshape fans’ relationships with their teams and sports more broadly. Of course The Simpsons predicted it.

Commercials: Speaking of sports betting, expect a flurry of commercials from gambling companies hoping to snag new customers, along with ads promoting crypto, electric vehicles, and upcoming movies. If you can’t handle the suspense, a bunch of TV spots have already been released.

Halftime show: For the first time in Super Bowl history, the halftime show is going full hip-hop and featuring SoCal natives Dr. Dre, Snoop Dogg, and Kendrick Lamar along with Eminem and Mary J. Blige. “California Love” is the betting favorite to be the first song played.

Grub: Food prices in the US increased 7% annually this January—their steepest jump since 1981—so it’s not a surprise that the Super Bowl’s holy trinity of wings, guac, and beer will all cost more this year. But don’t expect toomuch pain at checkout: The spike boils down to pennies on the dollar for the average consumer. Plus, thighs > wings.—NF, JW, MM

Your age and bias is showing. With the exception of Elway and Montana, all of the QBs you mentioned would be trash today likely. Defenders are bigger, stronger, and faster today. The overall competition is a lot higher. QBs of the past were also given time to become better QBs and all of them practically never had to worry about being replaced within the first few years. They had much longer times playing as starters. Now a days, if you have a bad first year you might be gone the second. One of the best QBs of all time, Payton Manning, was complete trash "stats wise" his first 2 years. If you don't enjoy today's NFL then ok fine. But to say the QBs of the past were better is just plain ridiculous.

Shamelessly Ageist. Funny how racist and sexist are bad, but ageist is OK.

Brady started his NFL career in 2000. It’s obvious that Red didn’t watch the last few playoff games, because if he did he wouldn’t be comparing the NFL with a female football league and expect to be taken seriously.

Disparaging women's sports is sexist.

Back