Safe to wear watches?

Patrick1988

Registered
I read a lot of posts about things getting stolen or at times even robbery.

Is it safe to wear watches worth 100-200 usd in Palermo/Recoleta/Microcentro during day and night or is that something that should be avoided?

I read a lot of posts about things getting stolen or at times even robbery.

Is it safe to wear watches worth 100-200 usd in Palermo/Recoleta/Microcentro during day and night or is that something that should be avoided?
Really depends on the look. Can you wear a black Casio gshock worth 500 dollars yes. Can you wear a gold Rolex, no. Can you wear a fake Rolex, I wouldnt.... Just best to be low key.

I wear a $200 steel automatic and $200 Casio Pathfinder. No problem. I wouldn't wear some rose-gold Iwatch or whatever looks luxury tech, no. And of course, a gold looking Rolex real or fake wouldn't be too subtle. The idea is to not pique the curiosity of the other.

Let me first say that this is a neutral post from me. I'm not on either side. With that said, I wonder how often robberies actually happen and how they compare to any similar sized city anywhere else. I see it mentioned over and over here but have only seen reference to the incident with the unfortunate murder in Puerto Madero over the watch.

What I do know is that these types of unfortunate events happen a lot in big cities in the US. It's just that it only makes international news when it's someone from a first world country having trouble in a third world country.

The only crime here that I would say is definitely higher here than in a place like the US or a European country, is phone theft. I'll admit that here your probably 50x more likely to get your phone snatched if it is just sitting on a table openly.

I've been here 3.5 months and have witnessed 1 attempted crime that didn't go well. A father and his very young son were a tag team snatch and run group. The child tried to snatch a phone that was sitting on the table of an outdoor restaurant. The kid didn't make it 5 feet before someone stopped him. The father tried to step in but was taken down by another person. They kept the father pinned down until the police arrived. The surprising thing was that part of the crowd wanted leniency for them.

I myself wear a watch valued at around 2500. I wear it most of the time. Although it's not as common to see really high end watches like in a big US city, don't think that it's completely foreign. There are store here to buy Rolex, Hublot, Audemars, etc. Louis Vuitton, Bally, Hermes, etc also have clothing stores here. The streets are full of BMWs and Mercedes, although owners have to pay double. Don't think that there is no money in BA. You will here a lot more about people who only have a little to survive on, than the fact that tons of restaurants in Palermo, Recoleta, Retiro, y Puerto Madero are packed every night.. and in those restaurants you're not going to eat for 500 pesos.

Bottom line is that you only need to come and enjoy yourself. If you're wearing a 300 dollar watch, there is a 99 percent chance that no one gives a shit.

Leave the bling at home....no matter where in the world you visit.
And this is based on what? Chance of violence? personal taste? It can't be based off violence especially since its so common in so many places.. And what do you consider bling? Normally it means lots of diamonds. Flashy jewelry isn't really my style but to say leave it at home no matter where you are is just ignorant.

anywhere in capital, i wouldn't walk around with anything too flashy. i have a big gold college ring i don't wear around here, just not interested in attracting attention.

but in palermo/recoleta area, you are likely fine. in microcentro at night, i wouldn't do it. microcentro is pretty dead at night so anything/one moving around is easier to spot.

I have a Breitling Chronospace I stop using like 7 years ago because it drew too much attention.

We find that wearing understated white gold or platinum accessories draws far less attention than gaudy yellow gold. I wear a vintage 18kt white-cold Patek Calatrava every day without problem. BA isn’t Chicago or Detroit.

Back