safety in BA

seelfamily

Registered
Our family has the opportunity to move to BA this summer for a few years. However due to recent events and speaking to one local it sound like it may be unsafe. One of us is fluent in the language and the other is learning. We have small children. Should this be a concern for us?

seelfamily said:
Our family has the opportunity to move to BA this summer for a few years. However due to recent events and speaking to one local it sound like it may be unsafe. One of us is fluent in the language and the other is learning. We have small children. Should this be a concern for us?

Of course it should but there are many factors to consider as well as crime.

Assuming you are being sponsored for a work visa, the biggest challenge you face is deciding where to live and how to rent and furnish a desirable home for your family.

There are a number of threads that deal with this subject that you can find using the search feature here, including posts by BAwithkids.

Not really. You just need to keep your common sense like in any other huge city, and you'll be fine. unless you chooze for live a dangerous neibourhood from the west end.

flowerpower said:
Not really. You just need to keep your common sense like in any other huge city, and you'll be fine. unless you chooze for live a dangerous neibourhood from the west end.

Even if this answer is sincere the neighborhood to the west of the "most desirable" areas (Recoleta and Palermo ) is Belgrano and it is also worthy of consideration.

The neighborhood to the east (Retiro) is not so family friendly (or safe).

PS: It might not be a good idea to take advice from anyone here who can't spell neighborhood correctly, doesn't know east from west, or still believes in flower power.

(I was a college student in the late 60's and early 70's and I know what I'm talking about.)

seelfamily said:

Honest opinion. If you have the chance to stay where you are and if that place is stable and civilized then I'd suggest you stay there until after the storm has passed. Right now is not a very good time to move with the economy headed for a recession and everyone else turning on each other.

With that said, it's not bad enough yet. It will get way worse very soon.

I'm only talking about the capital city, other places might be different. But if you can postpone coming here until the economy crashes and starts getting better again, then do that.

Steve,

I think flowerpower is just busy making a fool out of himself on these forums. Just ignore him.

This might come as a huge surprise to many, but I wouldn't rule out a company sponsored move at this point.

If your move is economically benificial to your family it is worth considering, but the rewards should be in dollars...even while you are in Argentina and being paid in pesos.

nicoenarg said:
Steve,

I think flowerpower is just busy making a fool out of himself on these forums. Just ignore him.

He won't be here much longer if that's the case.

He will meet a higher power soon (forum wise).

I am not Argentinean, but I live here for more than 20 years. Buenos Aires is a safe city. Of course, now things have changed, so it would be easier if you and your family live in Recoleta or Palermo area. Local people, portenios, talk too much about how dangerous and risk the city is now, but it is not real. Buenos Aires has a big population, and I am sure there are more than one hundred thieves, but in general terms is pretty safe. During summer time you will see people walking at 2 AM, even more children at Mc Donald's playground at 1AM. So, do you really believe is this a risky place? Be more carefully about real state people hehehe, make a good research before you make any commitment. And WELCOME TO BUENOS AIRES

steveinbsas said:
Even if this answer is sincere the neighborhood to the west of the "most desirable" areas (Recoleta and Palermo ) is Belgrano and it is also worthy of consideration.

The neighborhood to the east (Retiro) is not so family friendly (or safe).

PS: It might not be a good idea to take advice from anyone here who can't spell neighborhood correctly, doesn't know east from west, or still believes in flower power.

(I was a college student in the late 60's and early 70's and I know what I'm talking about.)

It seems you got a issue with me Steve, but tries to hide a little more, is too obvious :p. A misspelled word does not mean anything!. I know the East and West better than you surely, and I just told him without being too explicit that the east its safer than the west as long as you use common sense. Do not listen to Steve, is a grumpy old man.

Back