safety in BA

Stay away from Retiro or anywhere close to Av 9 de Julio.

I lived at Aranales 2000 (one block from Santa Fe) for two years in Recoleta and felt very safe.

I also lived at Amenabar 2900 for a year in Nunez (two blocks from Congresso) and felt very safe there, too.

flowerpower said:
Do not listen to Steve, is a grumpy old man.

It's unfortunate that you have to resort to calling me names when you have nothing else to substantiate your point.

I'm sorry that you didn't have a better education and/or a college course in logic.. or sucessfully complete a junior high school class in English.

steveinbsas said:
It's unfortunate that you have to resort to calling me names when you have nothing else to substantiate your point.

I'm sorry that you didn't have a better education and/or a college course in logic.. or sucessfully complete a junior high school class in English.

You're wrong steve. I got a good education, in fact im in the college. But when somebody stars to injury me with no reason, then I gib an answer. And you did!... you cant deny that.

seelfamily said:
Our family has the opportunity to move to BA this summer for a few years. However due to recent events and speaking to one local it sound like it may be unsafe. One of us is fluent in the language and the other is learning. We have small children. Should this be a concern for us?

Although safety should be a concern no matter where in the world you live, I wouldn't say "Don't come because it's not safe."

I would recommend you looking into the company that is going to bring you here and how you are going to be compensated. That would be a bigger concern to me, if I were you, than the concern of safety.

Until CFK is out of office, and perhaps even a while after that, this country is going to be a little crazy.

Napoleon said:
Although safety should be a concern no matter where in the world you live, I wouldn't say "Don't come because it's not safe."

I would recommend you looking into the company that is going to bring you here and how you are going to be compensated. That would be a bigger concern to me, if I were you, than the concern of safety.

Until CFK is out of office, and perhaps even a while after that, this country is going to be a little crazy.

Another loser crying for being living in ARg... why dont you go back to your homeland right now if you are getting a ugly time here ??...

A few things... to consider.

Make sure you are paid in dollars, get a cost of living stipend which includes the possible inflations issues here. While you may get paid in dollars it is getting very expensive to live here. You can get hit two ways here, conversion to pesos and higher cost of living due to inflation.

I do not know allot about BA but listen to Steve and live in the right place and you should be fine. If you are from rural US and have never lived in a major city then do some homework about living in cities that have dangerous places.

When I go to BA I typically stay in Palermo it’s quiet and peaceful. Since you have children this might be the ideal location.

nicoenarg said:
Steve,

I think flowerpower is just busy making a fool out of himself on these forums. Just ignore him.

I'm laughing a looot with this... All giving their opinion about me haha. For all those who write me paragraphs: "realize that the only fool are you!"

flowerpower said:
at least I got some of english!... and im sure its better than your spanish.

For what I read in the other thread, probably his Spanish is not only better than your English but also better than your Spanish! Please stop being annoying.

In any case, coming to the specific question, as every large city there are risks. The city is safe for Latin American standards but it is not safe for European or American standard (except if you live in Detroit, St Louis or Oakland). Saying that, we have been robbed in Geneva and never in Buenos Aires. We know people who has been robbed in BA. You need to choose the neighborhood wisely. Palermo, Belgrano, Recoleta are very safe in general.

Your other concern should be the economic situation in Argentina. If you are paid in dollars things may get better for you as the peso keeps losing value (this year, so far, there has been a real devaluation and the dollar is beating inflation for the first time in a few years).

I personally like our life in Argentina besides the many drawbacks and limitations. When is not longer the case, we will move on.

Good luck!

Back