Safety

Would you like some of my jamon de begar?

cuchillo-jamonero.jpg

I would love some. Is that a leg of a beggar?

i got my purse stolen today, my first day here. in a fancy cafe in san martin square with my 2 kids and large husband. they were magicians.

i got my purse stolen today, my first day here. in a fancy cafe in san martin square with my 2 kids and large husband. they were magicians.

Although violent crime is rare in BA, petty crime is widespread. You will learn to deal with it over time. But don't freak out too much. For Latin American standards, BA is an extremely safe city. Just watch out for pick pockets, con-artists and so forth.

Petty theft is rampant in BA? Sounds like the work of gypsies. Are there gypsies in BA?

Hi there.

I posted at the beginning of the year about safety concerns. I had read comments on another website from people who all seemed to have been mugged in BA, which had alarmed me.

In the meantime, I have been there myself and have had such an enjoyable time. I would put Buenos Aires alongside Paris and New York on the list of cities a person shouldn't fail to visit in his/her lifetime. I am now a big fan.

It is true that one has to be streetwise and careful with one's belongings, but that is not so unusual in big cities. I got squirted at once in the vicinity of Avenida Belgrano and a US-American guy I met had been squirted at too, but nothing was taken in either case. Garments had to be cleaned, though.

To put it all in a nutshell: I plan to return to BA again some time in the future and - now that I am somewhat familiar with the context of the safety issue - security will not be something that will burden my mind. It is manageable.

I live in the States and, when I'm in Buenos Aires, I do not have to worry about drive-by shootings. Nor do I concern myself much with lunatics mowing down the audience in the cinema or little children at elementary schools.

I live in the States and, when I'm in Buenos Aires, I do not have to worry about drive-by shootings. Nor do I concern myself much with lunatics mowing down the audience in the cinema or little children at elementary schools.
Right, however, careful crossing the street - you may get mowed down by your average BA driver.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Maybe it's the number of shootings in Colorado history (my home state), but I just don't feel super comfy in public places at home. Sure, I carry my purse tightly and walk with purpose in BA, but I would do that in any big city. Don't exist in this world as a victim and you can usually avoid becoming one. (But with that said, I probably step in dog shit more than most no matter how hard I try to avoid it. Some things are meant to be).

Back