Sailing in BsAs

benb

Registered
I just arrived here last week from Boston. I love sailing and was hoping BA (being a port city) would have opportunities to sail. So far the only marina I've seen is Puerto Madero, but that seems to be very exclusive. I've also come across various sailing tours offered, but I'm more interested in sailing/crewing myself rather than being a passenger. On GMaps' satellite view, it looks like there are several more marinas north of the city, which I'll check out as soon as I get a bicycle.

Are there any sailors on these forums? Does anyone know where it might be possible to sail a small boat? I don't own a boat yet, and my budget for one is pretty low, so I'm looking either for rentals, or a community sailing program, or a used small boat for cheap. Does anyone know about slips or boat storage options? Alternatively, does anyone have a sailboat in BsAs that could use a crew/friend? My "skipper" experience is mostly with small boats (15' or so), ocean or river, but I've sailed a 36' boat on Lake Michigan and crewed in races on 47' and 19' boats off the coast of Massachusetts, so I'm just happy to be on the water.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

I have done a bit of sailing out of san isidro.. i have a friend who is a member of a yacht club there.. Dont ask me where it is because he would drive us there and i never took much notice of where we went.. but i am sure you can find something on the net.. He isnt in BA at the moment so i cant ask him..

From what he has told me, its not to expensive to join the yacht club and he doesnt pay very much to hire a yacht for a day... it was like 30 pesos from memory..
I think he told me the Puerto Madero membership fees were like 30k peso's per year..

I dont know what the story is for foreigners in regard to being members of the yacht club in san isidro, but if you speak spanish go visit..

Sailing abounds here in Buenos Aires. With summer arriving the river s filling with sailboats. Last weekend a large regatta was hosted by Club Nautico Olivos. The largest club in the area is Club Nautico San Isirio. Another half dozen clubs are in San Fernando. That said , yes they are mostly in the northern suburbs (where I live). Most clubs are private , and you must be meeting a member to get in. Many have kippers looking for crew. The Yacht Club Argentino will be hosting the j-24 World Championship at Darsena in November. I will ask my friends who are all sailors , and check back on this thread.

We are have a sailboat and would by happy to find crew. Our boat is currently being built in San Fernando, and will splash late November. We plan on doing a lot of sailing beginning in December.

One more thing. Having sailed some here over the past couple of years, the water is not so pretty, but yes there are a LOT of boats. We will most likely keep our boat at the Yacht Club Argentino.

That's great, thanks! Can you let me know when you're going out?

You can also do a lot of sailing on the Parana River. It takes a bit of getting used to since the water is brown and there are loads of huge cargo ships coming and going. Rosario has a large sailing culture but you need to be connected. Most of the private sailing clubs have rentals. You will need a license to sail on the river, take your US license that may work. You may want to go for a weekend and check it out. Bring OFF and remember that this is one of the world's largest reserves of fresh water. Some links to local info:

http://www.bienvenidoabordo.com.ar

This is a link to a local magazine that circulates in the sailing community here...

Back