Salaries in Argentina

Futboljunkie

Registered
El 70% de los que tienen trabajo gana menos de $ 2.000 mensuales

08:52|Pese a las mejoras nominales, los salarios perdieron terreno frente a la inflación.



Por: Ismael Bermúdez


Mientras la inflación sigue en ascenso y arrancan las paritarias de este año, el INDEC precisó que las 14.981.000 personas ocupadas (obreros, empleados, profesionales, cuentapropistas o patrones) ganan en promedio $ 1.869 por mes.

Además del deterioro salarial, el informe oficial admite que esos ingresos se distribuyen de manera desigual: el 70% -casi 10,5 millones de personas- gana menos de $ 2.000 por mes y recibe el 42,3% de la torta. En tanto el 30% restante se queda con el 57,7 de los ingresos.

Esto surge de las última cifras oficiales sobre distribución del ingreso, del IV Trimestre de 2009 proyectadas a todo el país.

Los salarios nominales fueron aumentando en los últimos años, pero la inflación real fue licuando esas mejoras. Según mediciones de precios alternativas a la oficial, desde octubre de 2006 la inflación real superó el 80%, mientras para el INDEC no alcanzó al 30%.

Si bien comprenden a la mayoría de los 7,3 millones de trabajadores formales, las subas salariales acordadas en los convenios presionan también a favor de una mejora de los trabajadores informales. Sin embargo, se estima que los asalariados no registrados, en promedio, ganan un 33% menos que el trabajador en blanco. Así, la mitad de los asalariados "en negro" cobra menos de $ 1.000 mensuales.

El informe oficial también revela que un amplio sector es pobre aunque esté trabajando. Al analizar la escala salarial surge que la mitad de los ocupados -7,5 millones- gana menos de $ 1.500 mensuales, menos del valor de una canasta familiar básica.

Varios factores pesan en esta pobre radiografía salarial: a los ingresos bajos, se suma que el 36% de los asalariados trabaja en negro y mucha gente vive de changas. Por ejemplo, el 10% de los ocupados trabaja en promedio 22 horas semanales y el 20% menos de 31 horas por semana.

Eso significa que una porción importante de esta gente ocupada integra el contingente del subempleo, así llamado porque trabaja pocas horas, aunque esté dispuesta a trabajar más. Se trata de vendedores ambulantes, changarines, cuentapropistas y otras formas precarias de inserción laboral.

Los ingresos también se reparten de manera despareja según el género. La mitad de los varones gana menos de $ 1.700 mensuales, en tanto el 50% de las mujeres tiene ingresos de menos de $ 1.200. Esto se debe en parte a que, en promedio, las mujeres trabajan menos horas que los varones (en promedio los varones trabajan 45 horas semanales y las mujeres 33 horas semanales) porque las tareas en el hogar recaen sobre sus hombros y, además, una porción importante se desempeña en el servicio doméstico, con ingresos más bajos.

El 76,2% de los ocupados -11.415.000- son asalariados. Y entre éstos hay 4.100.000 que no están registrados (en negro). Y el 23,8% restante -3.585.000- son profesionales, autónomos o monotributistas.

Con este nivel de ingresos reflejado en la reciente encuesta del INDEC y sumando el aporte de la familia (como el ingreso del cónyuge o del hijo) se puede concluir que en el 30% de los hogares argentinos ingresan menos de 1.700 pesos al mes.

A partir de estos números críticos se resalta el debate sobre la pobreza. Porque el valor que se le asigne a la canasta familiar determina cuánta gente vive por debajo de la línea de pobreza.

Por ejemplo, de acuerdo a FIDE (Fundación de Investigaciones para el Desarrollo, cuya directora, con licencia, es la actual titular del Banco Central, Mercedes Marcó del Pont), en octubre de 2009 una familia tipo del Gran Buenos Aires necesitaba $ 2.752 para cubrir sus gastos básicos.

Según el INDEC, en la mitad de las familias argentinas ingresan menos de $ 2.670 por mes.

Clarin

The income of half the Argentine families is less then 2670 peso and 70% of all workers earn less then 2000 peso and the remaining 30% is earning about half of all earnings
 

steveinbsas

Registered
Futboljunkie said:
The income of half the Argentine families is less then 2670 peso and 70% of all workers earn less then 2000 peso and the remaining 30% is earning about half of all earnings
That's really very interesting, thanks...especially for the summation in English.

Perhaps that's why the visa rentista income requirement is $2700 pesos and the requirement for the visa pensionado is $2000 pesos (per month).

It looks like migraciones expects expats to be able to live like the locals.

I wonder how many expats are actually capable of doing so.
 

Futboljunkie

Registered
steveinbsas said:
That's really very interesting, thanks...especially for the summation in English.

Perhaps that's why the visa rentista income requirement is $2700 pesos and the requirement for the visa pensionado is $2000 pesos (per month).

It looks like migraciones expects expats to be able to live like the locals.

I wonder how many expats are actually capable of doing so.
Expats don't have an extensive network of friends, relatives and family to help them out

Personally I think it should be atleast 5000 peso, it does not make a lot of sense for a country to attract people without money
 

malbec

Registered
You can live with $2700 even without your family living in the city. I have some friends who came from the provinces with nothing other than a bag and were able to build a great network of friends, get a job, get a degree and later a job. Ah! and they didn't have to sleep on the streets or work as cartoneros. It all depends on you.

Of course many people in this forum want to live like kings. Well, you probably need $5000 for that (I know several families of 4-5 living with that money).
 

steveinbsas

Registered
malbec said:
You can live with $2700 even without your family living in the city. I have some friends who came from the provinces with nothing other than a bag and were able to build a great network of friends, get a job, get a degree and later a job. Ah! and they didn't have to sleep on the streets or work as cartoneros. It all depends on you.

Of course many people in this forum want to live like kings. Well, you probably need $5000 for that (I know several families of 4-5 living with that money).
The friends you speak of were obviously Argentinian.

It's not at all the same for foreigners...even from neighboring countries.

And it's a completely different situation for those from the rest of the civilized world...including pretenders to the throne in exile (those who would be kings).
 

malbec

Registered
It's not at all the same for foreigners...even from neighboring countries.
I don't think many of the bolivians in Argentina are earning as much as $2000.

Speaking the language is sure a great advantage, that's true. But is also true for the US or any other country.

What about living in the provinces? Costs are a fraction of those in BA. It could be interesting for rentistas.
 

citygirl

Registered
If you're a foreigner and don't have someone willing to sign a guarantee for you and are stuck renting a furnished apt (roughly 90% I would be willing to bet) - 2700 pesos would barely cover your rent for a tiny studio, let alone living expenses.

And even if you are willing to rent a room (and frankly, how many are willing to do that for an extended amount of time?) at 300 dollars a month - thats 1200 pesos right there. That leaves you 1500 pesos a month to live on. Out of that,
pay your cellphone bill (and remember - you're a foreigner so you're paying by the minute - no contract for you) - minimum 100 pesos a month,
your food - say you are being REALLY cheap and spending 30 pesos a day (no dinners out for you) - 900 pesos a month
your transportation (only the subte/bus r/t once a day): 80 pesos a month
health care - well, you probably can't afford it but let's say you get the minimum - 300 pesos a month.

You know have 100 pesos a month to enjoy yourself - have fun:eek:
 

zork

Registered
malbec said:
You can live with $2700 even without your family living in the city. I have some friends who came from the provinces with nothing other than a bag and were able to build a great network of friends, get a job, get a degree and later a job. Ah! and they didn't have to sleep on the streets or work as cartoneros. It all depends on you.

Of course many people in this forum want to live like kings. Well, you probably need $5000 for that (I know several families of 4-5 living with that money).
You can't live like a king on a ar$5000/month income.

Also, it's easy to say you can live with 2700 pesos a month in the city, but it's not easy at all, even for porteños, how do you do it? You can't rent an apartment because you have no garante o garantía, and even if you could you still have to pay comisiones, deposito, sometimes even 'llave' which is a legal term for 'we want more money', and then you end up with no money left and an empty apartment and you have to pay electricity, expensas, cable, internet, water, gas, laundry, transportation, cell phone and food, again, how do you do it?
 

malbec

Registered
because you have no garante o garantía
That's a good point.

Most families in Argentina do the laundry themselves and also cook at home a lot. Transportation is very cheap in BA, unless you travel by taxi everyday.

Cell phone is something which is not really necessary. Most families living on a budget don't use it very much and use prepaid cards. And do the calling from the normal line at home.
 
Top