salaries

If it's any consolation, growing inflation is a worldwide phenomenon. In England and Ireland, the cost of electricity and gas will increase by 40% over the next 6 months! The cost of petrol and car taxation have already risen significantly. However, these rises are certainly not being reflected in people's salaries, and unemployment is at an all time high since 1999.Even in Ethiopia, one of the poorest countries in the world, inflation is at an all time high. There seems to be no escaping it, regardless of where one is living.

"sergio" said:
There are around 13 million people in Greater Buenos Aires. Let us assume that this 5% earn over $4,000 pesos a month - you have a lot of people. I agree that the best way to make money in Argentina by being an entrepreneur and, like Pericles, I know people who work a lot and earn a lot by local standards (a fraction of what they could make in the US even in these times of economic meltdown). Making money here is tough, though. Labor laws are extremely hard on employers, taxes are very high and government is highly bureaucratic. Having said this, the fact remains that most people make a lot less than $4,000 pesos a month and professionals such as accountants, lawyers, doctors etc. make poor salaries by first world standards. With both partners working they can manage to get by. Saving for a home, though, is about impossible especially with almost no mortgages available. There has been some increase in salaries, especially for union workers but not so much for professionals. If salaries go up a lot (unlikely) in the future inflation will follow and the benefit of the increases will be negated.
I advice you to look how many people dont fall under the tax-exemtion for income tax in Argentina but that is definitly not 5%, a lot less.
That does not say that real incomes are that low, many people have 2 jobs(one on black market), have kid(s) working or get part of there salary paid under the table

I recently got hired as a local teacher at St. George's College and my salary is $4400AR/month. As a English teacher I got $21AR/hr, but this is paid cash.

I assume it´s in the formal economy, if it is, nice salary :) Does it include obra social?
For how many hours a week is the job?

It includes obra social/pension. I get a travel allowance. I work about 35 hours/week. But if I did the same teaching job in the US I would make 60% more, work longer hours,and spend about four times more on cost of living (Chicago).

4400 peso or about 2500 dollar. Seems pretty much the same to me.
In Argentina you can´t buy with a single salary but in Chicago neither with a single salary.
Still a pretty good salary, especially if you work with someone who is making more then 2500 peso a month as well

Back