San Telmo....best barrio in BA!

Maybe we can have a cheese and wine party soon

I make a tasty chili jam that goes great with a good sharp cheddar cheese and crackers, and of corrse wine always goes good with it.. If interested, send me a PM and I can give the recipe.( Of corse, you will have to find the chili pepers which can be a task in its self).

La Tablita in Belgrano - google it. Domestic and Intl cheeses and much better than Valenti and cheaper..but still what are 30+ ok cheeses when France has 500+
33199.jpg

Valenti at Patio Bullrich Shopping Center

Cheers[/quote]

Alzinho said:
OK, maybe not the best, but it just got a whole lot better for me personally.

Thanks to Miles for the pointer to the covered market. I wandered down there with my little lad today and bought some pretty good fresh vegetables and some nice looking chicken - looks corn-fed and I'm guessing almost certainly free-range. Darned expensive, all of it, but isn't everything these days!

Wasn't so impressed with the cheese stall (only national cheeses) but bought a small selection of ones I haven't tried before - to see if any of them actually taste of cheese.

And here's the real shocker - I know this is going to sound like fantasy, but I'm willing to go back and take photos if anyone requires proof - there were teams of workers out repairing pavements!!! ('Sidewalks' for our American friends.)

Aah....mi querido San Telmo, el mejor barrio de Buenos Aires! ;)

Al

The locally made roquefort is very good from that stall, a tad creamier than the french version. They also do an excellent "crottin" of goats cheese which is light and airy tasting but with a pronounced goatiness. Almost too good for cooking with though went very well in a chicken and spinach cream goatscheese sauce thing that i like to make. The pancetta is also very good (the smoked one), ask for it in one chunk and cut it up french style and fry it hot to liven up a salad. And my girlfriend and i normally argue about whether the jamon crudo or serano is best so usually have to get both. Also, you can buy decent chilis at a couple of stalls, including the big purple fruity dried variety. And fresh herbs like coriander(cilantro for you yanks), basil and parsely, fresh ginger etc are always available...sounds like the makings of a good curry!

( Of corse, you will have to find the chili pepers which can be a task in its self).[/quote]

We usually get different kinds of chilis from Bolivian greengrocers in our neighbourhood (Congreso) as well as from the Bolivian lady vendors outside chain supermarkets.
Alternatively you can also get them at Chinatown supermarkets or Tigre-both of which are already worth visiting anyway.

Miles Lewis said:
The locally made roquefort is very good from that stall, a tad creamier than the french version. They also do an excellent "crottin" of goats cheese which is light and airy tasting but with a pronounced goatiness.

I got some of the roquefort and goat's cheese - haven't tried them yet!

Back