San Telmo restaurants and cafes

harrisonba

Registered
Hi all,

I've recently arrived in San Telmo near Cochabamba/Defensa and am slowly getting to know restaurants and cafes -- but would like some company and some help finding the best combo of price and quality.

Is there a good sidewalk cafe around? The best set lunch value? The best steak?

Thanks!

harrisonba

We are leaving BA today after three months but after much gluttonous research living on Independencia, San Telmo find the cheapest food options to be:
Bar El Federal for 15 pesos wine, amazing historic atmosphere and local food.
La Poesia- ditto on prices
La Moderna - serves up the best pizza this side of Italy - for 50 pesos you get a bottle of red and a ginormous pizza for two. Love it. They need to turn the fluros down though.
Pastry place that rocks is close to the corner of Independencia and Bolivar. Try not to get addicted!
HEAPS of places. There is the best local produce in the San Telmo Merado.
If you need more biased opinions please let me know.

Enjoy!

I recently ate at La Brigada and the food was fantastic; the steak, sausages, salad and fries were all good! I will probably now get stick bc it is a bit touristy but if the food is good - I'm a fan!
I haven't been but apparently Cafe San Juan is meant to be good too.
Hope this helps.

My fave place is Gran Parilla del Plata, on Peru and Chile. As implied it is a Parilla, steak house, and in my humble opinion, as good as you will get in this genre in San Telmo, if not further afield.

I love Desnivel which is very close to Plaza Dorrego, Im living in San Telmo for about 3 months, you can also try el federal which is right in san telmo as well. Desnivel is a restaruant while el federal is a more of a cafe

I would also add, that if you feel like something more akin to home, the Gibraltar bar, an english style pub on Peru (895) does very good pub grub, and with some interesting beer too.

WanderingTrader said:
I love Desnivel which is very close to Plaza Dorrego, Im living in San Telmo for about 3 months, you can also try el federal which is right in san telmo as well. Desnivel is a restaruant while el federal is a more of a cafe

I must have hit Desnivel on a bad night, as I'd heard such great things from others. The steak was a cut I would have been embarrassed to serve, and the value just wasn't there otherwise. Perhaps I should try them again -- but el federal first. Thanks!

I've been to Territorio ( EE.UU. 501). It's a lovely, quiet place.
Their sandwiches are really good, especially the salmon, fresh and sliced to perfection.
It's not really a typical Argentine cafe/resto, I don't see lots of meat on the menu. Haha

Back