San Telmo

ElPrincipito

Registered
Dear All,
Could you please give me your thoughts about living in San Telmo?
And yes, I think I have read all the threads in this forum regarding this neighbourhood. The problem is that they seem to be quite contradictory. I guess it can be partially due to different timing of the posts (and of course subjectivity of the matter).
So what I have read is that;
It is safe / you should not go out after 10 pm.
It is very entertaining / there is no nightlife
It is very dirty / it is as dirty as other neighbourhoods
Etc,
At least it looks like you all agree that it is very noisy and polluted with fumes (but then again probably you can say that about the whole BA, don’t you?)
And one more thing; as far as I understood Downtown is the busiest part of BA during the day but it is Palermo during the night, is that correct?
Thanks in advance for your comments.

ElP, I think the differences on the responses RE: subject of San Telmo can be attributed to responder's age and the kind of activity one is into. Depending on what you plan to do and who to surround yourself with, as well as budget and must-have accomodations, then please consider all other parts of BsAs and not only San Telmo.
Each "barrio" in Buenos Aires has their own distinct feel to them. It is good to visit and see all the ones you think you will consider (San Telmo, Belgrano, Palermo, Recoleta, etc.) and look at it at night, peak traffic hours, in daylight and on the weekends.
That is what is good about coming to BsAs numerous times before deciding where to hang your hat. good luck!

It is safe / you should not go out after 10 pm.
It's safe enough, most of the talk about Argentina being unsafe is unwarrented. It is very entertaining / there is no nightlife
You've got your clubs and all that, there's a pretty nice bar there I recall and miss really called Gibraltar but a bunch of clubs, bars and restaurants don't guarantee entertainment.
It is very dirty / it is as dirty as other neighbourhoods Only place I ever remember seeing a pack of rats in, a bit dirtier, too crowded, old, noisy, polluted I wouldn't want to stay there. And one more thing; as far as I understood Downtown is the busiest part
of BA during the day but it is Palermo during the night, is that
correct?
No.Grazie mentioned "(San Telmo, Belgrano, Palermo, Recoleta, etc.)" and that's all good, my recomendation would however be: think outside the box.Enjoy Argentina

I cannot agree more with you that the best would be to come, make my own ideas, and then decide where I want to stay. However right now I am looking for something for short term (2-3 months) … just to come, make my own ideas, and then decide… For logistics reasons this first part of research has to be based on your subjective comments (and these are very helpful!). Once in BA I will certainly acquire my own subjective ideas and make more conscious choice (or just stick to the initial one if your comments prove to be even more helpful than I think:).

Back