Santiago vs BA

Please update us about the hospitals and medical insurance in Chile versus Argentina

El chabon said:
What are those vibrant and cultured places in BA?

I think the irony is unfair. My wife and I were gladly surprised by the amount of theater plays, concerns, shows BA has to offer. You may not be able to compare it to Paris, London or NYC but for a middle income developing country the cultural offer here is amazing. Plus the underground scene is fantastic.

What underground scene are you are talking about?

I am guessing if you limit yourself to rate culture of a city by the amount of theater plays you are really one-dimensional

El chabon said:
What underground scene are you are talking about?

I am guessing if you limit yourself to rate culture of a city by the amount of theater plays you are really one-dimensional

My example was three-dimensional as theater plays was only one of three examples. We go to a ballet or dance show almost every week (last week was Russian ballet at Coliseum, this week will be the Sleeping Beauty at Colon). We are taking different courses at Centro Cultural Rojas. We saw a nice play in underground theater two weeks ago in a place close to Abasto (can't remember the name). We took our daughter ten days ago to Konex Foundation for a extremely nice version of the Nutcracker. We have been to a lot of small galleries displaying interesting art. We have been to Fundacion Proa a couple of times for different events. Culture is everywhere here, you just need to open your eyes...

I don't consider BA rich culture city, but have been here 7 years that might make a difference. Who knows

Either way if you 'open your eyes' like you claimed your doing yourself I am sure you can find the same kind of stuff in scl

But that's not an experience from living there just visiting like 10 times in the last 10 years for multiple days

El chabon said:
I don't consider BA rich culture city, but have been here 7 years that might make a difference. Who knows

Either way if you 'open your eyes' like you claimed your doing yourself I am sure you can find the same kind of stuff in scl

But that's not an experience from living there just visiting like 10 times in the last 10 years for multiple days

If you want to count years... I lived in Buenos Aires twice, the first time only 15 years (from age 13 to 28) but I think that is not the point. I thought mentioning a few places people generally oversee (as Proa, Konex, Rojas) was a nice contribution but probably you know better.

I have been to SCL many times for work (one of my previous employer, UN, has a big office there) and I have been to the theater there and in Viña. My statement did NOT mean to compare SCL to BA but to answer a sarcastic comment that I thought (and I still think) was unfair in the context of a developing country. I am not in a position to compare the two cities as I have only been to Chile for work (and 3 days vacation in Viña).

Good luck in Chile, I went last October and loved it! Whenever you make it out to the coast, if you make it out to Renaca eat empanadas at La Casa del Mono, they were DELICIOUS.

El chabon said:
What are those vibrant and cultured places in BA?

Hahahaha, there aren't many. Its waaay over rated in BA.

I thought Santiago was much cleaner than BA plus the people were much more friendly.

As someone who's lived in both, I would say that Santiago does have very good nightlife & restaurants, but you do need to know where to go, whereas in BA you can find decent venues in most areas. Once you work out the places to go there's a lot going for Santiago over BA. Cleaner, friendlier people, decent prices for most things ...etc, they have lots of theatre and other live events, including Lollapalooza that I went to this year.

And Chile actively encourages new foreign businesses to set up in their country, they even provide start up funding for many of them.

Back