Scam Artist Cab Drivers

I might be excessively cautious, but I just never take a cab unless I have exact change (I always keep a stash of small bills just for taxis.) Completely avoids any chance of being scammed. Ironically, the only time I did have to ask a cab driver for change -- thinking it'd be safe, because I only needed 4 pesos back -- I actually received a counterfeit 2. A counterfeit TWO, people.

I refused to get out of the cab and told the driver that I had the whole day to remain seated as I had just quit my job. I peacefully stayed in there until he gave me my change and then I left.

This is awesome.

When you gonna pay, you must show to the f*** cab driver the serie numbers of money, and ask him, do you see? or say the numbers very aloud.

This always work.

Another device, if you know where you going, and you know how much usually they charge for that travel, you ask before: I got ONLY $20, you ride me?

When I was working as a tourist guide, long time ago, we have a cab-taxi agency, we call them, and in 10´ they arrive. Now I realy dont know what agency is trustable, but some user can provide a device.

Or, if you go to some restaurant, go to the manager and ask if they can give you some cab agency phone number, or if they can provide any trustable.

I hope this can be helpful.

Vic

I have said this before "note the name of the taxi company and publish it here" that way we all know the ones to avoid,

We all know that scams are common in Argentina. Concerning taxi drivers I must say that I found them extremely honest. The only case where I really got ripped of was when I was quite drunk. A few (very few) times they did not take the most direct route, but never more than 5 cuadras (you know how it is, miss a turn and the next is one-way, etc.). A few even stopped the meter the moment that happened. I NEVER EVER got a fake bill!

but there are two things:
1.) I know the streets very well. If they asked me something about the way to get where I want to, I generally was able to tell them.
2.) I never used large bills. Of course if the meter says 75 I pay with a 100. But if it says 65 I use the smaller bills. In a few exceptions where I was unable to, I already asked before getting on the taxi, if he has change for a 100. Those who agreed never tried anything funny.
3.) I generally spoke to the driver. I don't know if it makes a difference and I did not do it to reduce chances of being ripped off. I just like to talk to people. Anyway, I could imagine that a driver who considers you a nice and good person (or simply somebody who is not stupid/an easy target) is less likely to rip you off.

Apart from that, you should not leave your luggage in the taxi and search an ATM for 10 minutes once you arrive. I heard of one story, where the taxi (and luggage) were not there any more after that time. That's just plain stupid. But basically BsAs taxi drivers are very honest people. I had more attempts to rip me off at home in Austria, which is generally known as safe, honest, etc. (plus: I am a local there). Of course being a taxi driver in BsAs is actually quite a good job and they are rather proud, in Austria it is not.

Just take care, know to speak spanish, etc.. The situation is really way better than the tourist guides say.

PS: I almost never called radio taxis (I did not like the waiting time and extra cost). Nevertheless, I preferred to hail those taxis, that carried the logo/sign of a radio taxi company and were in a good shape. IMHO a driver who does not have the funds or motivation to keep his vehicle in a decent shape is more likely to rip somebody off, or worse. Furthermore I suppose that a taxi that works with a radio taxi company is more likely to be reliable.

Now I know that many here wish to believe the worst about Taxi drivers but I will give credit where it is due . I believe Buenos Aires taxi drivers to be amongst the most honest in the world .

I catch a average of 4 to 5 taxi rides a day and am very aware of the city and most drivers go the right way and in 1000s of taxi rides less than 10 have been unsatisfactory . Most drivers also will discount you if they made a wrong turn .

The drivers here are very knowleagable about the city and very few need maps to go anywhere. Compare this to the immigrant taxi driver in New York and Sydney Australia its much easier to catch a taxi in Buenos Aures

Right on, Perry.

I was in Quito, Ecuador earlier this year, and almost none of the cab drivers knew where I lived. I had to explain turn-by-turn where to go. I've only had this happen to me one time in Buenos Aires.

Another thing that is amazing about taxis/taxi companies in Buenos Aires is that they will actually send you one no matter where the taxis are located. In Quito, if they don't have a vehicle in your area, you're out of luck.

Regarding fake bills, it happens a lot, and it's unfortunate. I learned a long, long time ago to pay with "exact change." It makes it easier for you and the cab driver. If you're coming from an airport or BuqueBus, make sure you try to withdraw (ATM/casa de cambio) 290 pesos or 250 pesos so you have smaller bills on hand.

I have a friend that owns and rents out three taxis. They advised me to call a radio taxi like Premium, and not to hail a Premium radio taxi on the street. It's not controlled as if you were actually calling the company and they know the origin and destination of the trip and they can cheat you. That being said, if you have a problem while in a radio taxi you can call the company while in the cab, give the number of the taxi, and make a formal complaint over your cell phone. The company won't allow the driver to work for an entire day and he could lose a lot of money. I use Premium a lot, but even I've had to call a couple times to complain about some of the drivers.

Most taxi drivers in the city know the place like the back of their hand.
Even if you do know the way, surely it is going to miff the driver if you start off telling him how to get there.
You can imagine what may be going through his mind...'We've got a smart arse here, we'll see about that.'..............

Gringoboy said:
Most taxi drivers in the city know the place like the back of their hand.
Even if you do know the way, surely it is going to miff the driver if you start off telling him how to get there.
You can imagine what may be going through his mind...'We've got a smart arse here, we'll see about that.'..............

I very rarely ever give directions to taxi drivers as most will work out a way to get there faster as it is in their best interests to have turnover. They tell me though than many try to control their routes and it pisses them off .

99 % of people will have minor problems with taxi drivers . A fake bill , a smartass is all you will encounter . The fake bills are mainly for the unaware and its been over 3 years that I have recieved one.

You´re right about this happening anywhere in the world. My Argentine husband took a taxi in NZ in his 1st week there (years ago). He didn´t speak English, the immigrant taxi driver didn´t either and it was only the 2nd time that my husband had taken a taxi to that address. Somehow he realised he was being taken for a ride, and after not being able to communicate with the taxi driver his resourceful Argentine nature kicked in. The taxi driver found that a swiss army knife to the throat suddenly cleared his memory and in 2 minutes flat they were at the address. My husband paid him the fare he had paid the previous night for that journey and went into the house.

Back