Scam Artist Cab Drivers

dani28 said:
Finally when we arrive I give him a 100 and instructed him to round the amount up to get a tip for himself and give me the change from the rounded up estimate. Literally in 3 seconds when I look back up, he goes, ¨Change? You gave me a 10¨ And instead of a 100 peso bill he had a 10 in his hand.
This trick is older than the hills - it all started with "you didn't give me a stone axe, only an arrowhead".

A trick: On all my AR$ 100 bills I mark the forehead of Julio A. Roca with a 1 mm blue dot. If anyone tries it on me I can show them 100-bills w/ blue dots "So showe it up your ..., my boy and hand back my 100".

puvenlee said:
I had a different one:
We got on a cab and it took the same route which I took very often. But at every corner the price on the meter is nearly 40-50 percent more than it usually is... And we ended up paying 50% more than usual...
I think there's some hidden button he can press to alter the meter.
It's called "After 2 am price in day time".

Hellek said:
3.) I generally spoke to the driver. I don't know if it makes a difference and I did not do it to reduce chances of being ripped off. I just like to talk to people. Anyway, I could imagine that a driver who considers you a nice and good person (or simply somebody who is not stupid/an easy target) is less likely to rip you off.
Good trick. You establish a relationship with the driver and simple psychology makes him feel wrong about cheating an acquaintance - he'll con the next passenger instead. Way to go!

I have found..of the few times in Argentina..and once in Turkey...the drivers were being quite friendly..and we got along very well. Part of the scam to make you think they are honest..they tried to do the $ switch... 2 times it worked, 3rd time not!

I would NEVER dream of paying with a $100 bill. I pay the exact fare or close to it. Paying with a $100 bill is the mark of a naive tourist.

other thing you can do is to mark the bill or fold it, and then you tell him, i gave you the one mark it on!!!

John.St said:
Good trick. You establish a relationship with the driver and simple psychology makes him feel wrong about cheating an acquaintance - he'll con the next passenger instead. Way to go!

In my experience, $100 bills are usually NOT a problem. When getting into the car, (and sometimes when I forget - even during the trip) - simply ask politely "Tiene cambio de cien?". 3 out of 4 times the response is affirmative. It's also put the driver on notice that you know you're giving him $100.

The speaking thing also works, I'm here for 2 years and can't recall having any such story. Maybe because my Spanish is passable and I don't live in an expat area.

Yop, or another solution if you don't feel like feeding a conversation during the trip : when you hand over the bill, just say clearly "aqui tenes 50/100" while clearly looking at the bill if the driver looks at you.

Much easier imho

Hi,

I, too, was scammed in front of Las Lilas restaurant, by an elderly cab driver, who kept asking questions and playing loud music. I believe he probably hangs out at Las Lilas as only tourists go to this restaurant which is also a scam and bad food (shame to come to Argentina and pay NYC steak prices, and get at best mediocre service and quality). Anyhow, I gave him a 100 and he switched it with two pesos... then, I gave him a 50 and he did it again, saying it was only 5. In fact, he took all of my money right in front of my apartment building. Can not believe what a fool I was to allow this. Anyhow, now when I get in a cab and it is a longer fare, I tell them the story and how I will never be scammed again by any cab driver, just to make sure that they know up front, I will not tolerate it. Also, make sure that the lights are on when you pay the cab driver and do not let the money out of your hand unless you see change coming out of his hand. Just another day in this bright and sunny city

Back