Scam Artist Cab Drivers

perry said:
Now I know that many here wish to believe the worst about Taxi drivers but I will give credit where it is due . I believe Buenos Aires taxi drivers to be amongst the most honest in the world .

I catch a average of 4 to 5 taxi rides a day and am very aware of the city and most drivers go the right way and in 1000s of taxi rides less than 10 have been unsatisfactory . Most drivers also will discount you if they made a wrong turn .

The drivers here are very knowleagable about the city and very few need maps to go anywhere. Compare this to the immigrant taxi driver in New York and Sydney Australia its much easier to catch a taxi in Buenos Aures

Absolutely agree with you!!! Dishonest cabbies are a distinct minority in BA. I could tell you lots of stories about their integrity, intelligence, wit and sense of humor!

Except in the taxi line at Aeroparque and in the area of the Port of BA around cruise ships and ferries. In these locations all bets are off. And the ratio of Piratas/Ladrones to hard working, honest drivers is reversed.

militarypm said:
Hi,

I, too, was scammed in front of Las Lilas restaurant, by an elderly cab driver, who kept asking questions and playing loud music. I believe he probably hangs out at Las Lilas as only tourists go to this restaurant which is also a scam and bad food (shame to come to Argentina and pay NYC steak prices, and get at best mediocre service and quality). Anyhow, I gave him a 100 and he switched it with two pesos... then, I gave him a 50 and he did it again, saying it was only 5. In fact, he took all of my money right in front of my apartment building. Can not believe what a fool I was to allow this. Anyhow, now when I get in a cab and it is a longer fare, I tell them the story and how I will never be scammed again by any cab driver, just to make sure that they know up front, I will not tolerate it. Also, make sure that the lights are on when you pay the cab driver and do not let the money out of your hand unless you see change coming out of his hand. Just another day in this bright and sunny city

I have heard similar stories about cabbies in front of Las Lilas and the Hilton in Puerto Madero, as well as cruise, ferry and the domestic airport terminals. They might be thieves but they are smart enough to figure out where the targets are most plentiful.

I tend to agree with the above... that's a price to pay, but now you know. Also you can get the number of the cab (and phone number) and if you want, report him to the tourist police. May already have a file going.

This happens everywhere. I'm from NYC and even veteran New Yorkers get hassled by cabbies. Once I paid off the driver, he shut off the meter, and I started to get out and he said, "You haven't paid." I can't relate the rest, but you can imagine.

Good luck in the future.

It happened to me only once and I just looked at the cabbie and told him directly; Te di 50 pesos, darme mi vuelto, no soy un boludo...Yo vi que hiciste. (I gave you a 50 peso bill. Give me my change. I’m not a moron. I saw what you did).

After he gave me my forty pesos back I told him as I slammed the door that I was going to report him and called him a "chorro" (a thief).

No matter what the situation, I've learned over the years, Argentinos that supposedly run legit businesses will always cave if you push them.

I live in Saavedra, near the Dot, so when I want to come home from a late night in Palermo sometimes I take whatever bus comes first that will take me down Cabildo, then cab it for the last leg of the trip, this ride is usually just a 12 peso ride. I get out of the bus and flag a cab down right at the corner that I need the driver to turn at and it usually is flawless. But this one cab hit the pedal hard and said "ah si, a Juramento!" and flies past my street. Obviously taking me the wrong direction, I called him out on it and he pretended to be lost and pulls out his guia T, I tell him to look for the big green circle (i.e. the saavedra park), when i make him show me the map he is looking at so I can point him in the right direction, he is looking at the map of Chacarita! I lost it on him and he got an earful, then magically remembered the right directions and I was home in 5 minutes.

I try to take cabs as little as possible because of little annoyances like that, if it isn't raining I normally would rather walk and bus it than deal with a taxista.

AngelinBA said:
You´re right about this happening anywhere in the world. My Argentine husband took a taxi in NZ in his 1st week there (years ago). He didn´t speak English, the immigrant taxi driver didn´t either and it was only the 2nd time that my husband had taken a taxi to that address. Somehow he realised he was being taken for a ride, and after not being able to communicate with the taxi driver his resourceful Argentine nature kicked in. The taxi driver found that a swiss army knife to the throat suddenly cleared his memory and in 2 minutes flat they were at the address. My husband paid him the fare he had paid the previous night for that journey and went into the house.

This is why i like this forum. Better than TV series...

Back