Schwab merging with TD Ameritrade

Redpossum

Registered
I am suggesting this is relevant to Argentina, because some here have said in past that Schwab waives or reimburses all ATM charges related to use of debit card here in Argentina.

My brokerage account was with Scottrade for years, and they were absorbed by TD Ameritrade. Now it looks like Schwab is absorbing Ameritrade. This reminds me of an old Dr Seuss book with the big fish eating a medium fish that's eating a small fish...

Anyhow, the email said...
Several months ago, we shared with you the exciting news that TD Ameritrade and Schwab are coming together. Now, we're actively working to combine the strengths of both firms to create, ultimately, an unparalleled client experience. While the full union of the firms won't take place for some time—and each will serve its clients separately until then—over the next many months you'll be seeing what this combination truly means for you. I’m pleased to share one such development.

...and from there it went on with some blah blah blah about satisfaction guaranteed. Yeah, right.

So, those of you who are with Schwab, have you heard anything about this merger? Am I correct in recalling that you had mentioned no ATM fees for overseas transactions?

Nothing here.

The only reason I have schwab is because of their atm fee refunds. I never use it anymore due to western union but I like still having the option.

As a Schwab guy...yes, I've heard about it. Not much to say. Sad that apparent competitors are consolidating but other than that no comment. Also i wouldn't stick my Schwab in an Arg ATM without a condom (so it wouldn't work and spare me the theft of the official rate).

The TD Ameritrade's debit card charges ATM fees OUTSIDE the USA. Will that change after the merger? Who knows!

AFAIK both Fidelity and Schwab have this policy of reimbursing international ATM fees.
So you can always switch in case Schwab changes this.

AFAIK both Fidelity and Schwab have this policy of reimbursing international ATM fees.
So you can always switch in case Schwab changes this.

Do they make up for the atm fee with less pesos/dollar?

Back