Seats For Dining Table

Dublin2BuenosAires

Registered
Add these to the list of things which are unusually expensive. Only very occasionally I miss Ikea badly!

I need 4 (fairly light in colour, white ideal & fairly slim modern design) chairs for a dining table. We put all our ´classical style´ heavy wooden furniture in storage and need newer modern furniture, going for a less cluttered look in the apt.

Anyone found any bargains for chairs? My guess was that i could pick up 4 reasonably economic chairs for about 2k all in but apparently not !

I agree with ML, or look at www.falabella.com.ar, they do have some dining chairs at that price.

Already looked last week. Nothing really. Falabella is poor quality stuff, and all a bit clunky. I'd prefer to check out a store as opposed to mercado libre.

Already looked last week. Nothing really. Falabella is poor quality stuff, and all a bit clunky. I'd prefer to check out a store as opposed to mercado libre.

Try the flea market, Niceto Vega/Dorrego, and the streets around it, for 2nd hand furniture in all states of repair, including antiques stripped down & painted up funky.
More classically restored antiques in large shops around Av Rivadavia ~8000.
The new furniture district is Avenida Belgrano roughly between Av Entre Rios y Av Jujuy. Ikea it ain't, but there are a couple of places there where you can buy raw wood chairs to paint or finish yourself.

I actually found falabella to be quite decent compared to what's out there - especially price wise. Your choice is basically between junk or very overpriced furniture - and a lot of times both.

Furniture shopping is not fun. Rarely are prices listed by the items and sitting down with a salesman is like the process for buying a car. It takes up a lot of time.

There was one store that I liked on Belgrano - called City and Country, or something like that. Not exactly cheap, and I'm not sure how modern their stuff is. Probably not what you're looking for, but there's a lot of stores in the area.

I found a website for chairs and tables. Desillas.com It's like buying directly from a distributor instead of a retail store. They have photos of many styles of chairs. Select the one you want and pay with Mercado Pago through your bank account or credit card or cash at Rapipago.

I happened to see the Silla Jacobsen that I wanted to buy in a furniture store on Belgrano where I went to sit on it to confirm it was the one I wanted to buy. The store price was 400 pesos more per chair than the price on Desillas.com

I paid cash for the chairs through an account on Mercado Pago with payment made at Rapipago. I arranged delivery by phone, and they'll be delivered without charge on Wednesday (12-17 hs).

www.desillas.com

Even though argentines earn in pesos, most things are priced with the actual exchange rate in mind- the blue.
2000 pesos for four chairs is what- $35 US per chair?
In the USA, the only thing that cheap would be the crappiest chinese stuff.

As it happens, I have made somewhere over 1500 chairs in my life- and, of course, i dont sell anywhere near that cheap.
But I also, contrary to statements above, enjoy shopping, for furniture and most other things- and I have found plenty of great chairs in Argentina pretty cheap.
I shop a lot at Las Pulgas, the flea market, and there are sometimes good chairs there for 500 pesos- but it totally depends. I know lots of the dealers, and get good prices. I have mid century modern stuff I have bought there in that price range.

New, there is a fair amount of nice, sturdy stuff for not much more.
I have some chairs very similar to these Arne Jacobsens in my kitchen in Barrio Norte, and I dont consider seven hundred pesos to be high at all- in the USA, a similar chair would be more. The real thing, online, in the US, is $373 each at a discount online store- thats 5200 pesos PER CHAIR at the blue.

http://articulo.merc...a-y-cromada-_JM

When I hear people complain about furniture prices here, I always wonder- here is a concrete example of the same chair, a high quality wood and stainless steel design, costing about 7 times as much in the USA as it does in Buenos Aires.
I have found all kinds of beautiful furniture in Buenos Aires, new and used, at similar discounts.
I think its CHEAP here.

I highly recommend this company for used furniture. It's a moving company / auction house. The moving company is called "Verga Hermanos" (for those of you who know what "Verga" means, I am sure you are all chuckling right now, but this is really their name). They have an auction / sell off of great quality used furniture of every style and description a couple of times a month. I helped a friend furnish a very large house last year and they bought more than 50% of their furnishings from here. The used furniture sales division is called "Usa Usado". Located in Almagro at Bulnes 457.
http://www.vergahnos.com.ar/remates.php
https://www.facebook.com/UsaUsadoRemates

Back