Second computer monitor (take, buy, or suck-it-up?)

If you're only here briefly, you won't have a DNI, and you can't use ML without one.
BUT there is always Galeria Jardin on Florida right downtown.
Here's the monitors page 1 on the Fullh4rd website, there are 8 pages of listings. Pick something there that says "en stock" on a green field, then go down to their storefront in the Galeria Jardin and buy it. With recent changes, you should be able to use your US credit card and get a decent rate, or you can pay in cash and ask for a discount. Or you can buy it on the website with a US credit card, and wait for it to be delivered.

Just suggestions based on personal experience

Long thread here on the use of US CC's here and resulting exchange rates. Used to be a horribad idea, but that changed recently.

Best answer here.

You could check mercadolibre to get an idea of prices, but forget buying there, you can only create an account if you have a DNI. If you are near microcentro your best option is to go to Galeria Jardin and buy a cheap monitor in cash.

This shop is in Caballito near the metro station Puan: https://www.mexx.com.ar/productos-rubro/monitores/
I mention this shop, because I have personally bought several things there in cash with a European passport (I have no DNI) and was happy with the price. You can always compare what they have with somewhere else and in the worst case buy there. Though again, assuming you are not in Caballito, Galeria Jardin is probably where you will look first.

Some of the shops in Galeria Jardin seem maybe a little shady to me. I mentioned FullH4rd because I have done business with them repeatedly, and never had a problem. They are young, but I've never gotten any of that "OK Boomer" vibe from them.

Time before last I was in, there are two youngsters, both glued to their monitors. One looks up and asks how he can help. I say I want a 250g SSD. He asks whether I want the old style with a cable, or the newer variety that plugs right into the mobo. This whole conversation is in Castellano, and at first I don't understand. He patiently repeats it, and I get it the second time, replying that I want the old school one with the cable. I apologize for my poor Castellano, and add "pero tengo effectivo" ("but I have cash"). The other young man, without even looking up from his PC, says softly "es el unico que importa" ("it's the only thing that matters")

And I'm cool with that, because we don't get out of bed and go to work in the morning for shits & giggles, we do it to make money.

Ultimately, you’re paying for the convenience to work easily. Over the span of ~20 days, would you pay ~$200/per for the ability to work more effectively? Otherwise framed, would that loss of effective working cost you more than $200/per? I adjusted using just my laptop screen, but my husband went for the expense and gave it to a friend when no longer needed. Our stay was quite a bit longer (years), but that gives you some context for adjustment versus taking the financial hit. It all depends on how much it’s worth to each of you.

my spouse and i will be taking up a brief (Feb 2022) expat residency in Buenos Aries. we will both be working from home (but not at "home".) both of us have jobs that are infinity easier with a second screen (both PC). +/- A 27" screen is sufficient, and it does NOT need to be 'gamer quality'.
---> is it easier to ship the ones we already have?
---> purchase while there (lord luv / hate the Amazon Prime)?
--->...Or just suck it up and do without (AURGH!) ?

with much appreciation in advance,
mark
We've brought lots of stuff in luggage over the years and sometimes got questions but never problems kow. If you have the space I would just bring them. Do the trick with wood or maybe a sheet of Styrofoam? to protect them and if they ask when you are coming through just be honest and say you need it for work, they are used, therefore not with much resale value, and not for sale anyway. Is there likely to be a problem? Sometimes we even bring a copy of the original sales receipt...We always scratch up the new stuff that's for our own use so its obviously used/not for sale. Without any real knowledge of official policy this is the way we've always dealt with bringing stuff in... An extra luggage is what like $200? Its about the equation i suppose as GMXam points out.

I brought a 32 incher in the original box. It was used but in the box for the flight. No issues.

I brought a used 27" in my luggage a few years ago with American Airlines, with the original Polystyrene Foam and some cardboard and bubble wrap for the screen. It eventually arrived unscathed.

I had a transit through the US and my suitcase with the monitor "didn't make" the connection while my other suitcase arrived in Ezeiza. it arrived the next day but customs wouldn't pass it through (where American Airlines would deliver free of charge) so I had to travel back to Ezeiza to pick it up, walk through the scanners and the customs agent telling me how he knew how to recognise new screens based on scratches, looking to collect taxes. after seeing the bubble wrap stuck to the screen he let it through.

Hello
I saw this post, and Ive received lots of good help from all of you here.

So my apologies for being a bit thick headed.

Im coming for one week 3 March to 11 March.

I want to bring one large duffle bag with clothes and pack one Graphics monitor its old its a 2nd or a TV 25inch to leave. And one cooking Pot she wants. I looked and I havent seen any Graphics monitors, besides Mac and its too pricey for me.

Im staying for one week until I return, is this wise to bring in the clothes monitor.

Because Im staying for only 1 week will this cause any problems?

Should they ask, i best response.

I'm coming back soon or Im coming back soon to Marry Argentine lady?
or

Best Sam

Back