Seeking Organic & Paleo/primal Food Buddies (And Info)

Are a variety of berries coming into season now? But here's what I really want to know (asking cautiously after sleslie23's post today): has anyone seen frozen organic berries at El Galpon or elsewhere?

Are a variety of berries coming into season now? But here's what I really want to know (asking cautiously after sleslie23's post today): has anyone seen frozen organic berries at El Galpon or elsewhere?

well strawberries are definitely in season now, as prices in the normal verdularias has shot down from 40 a kg to 15-18 a kg. haven't checked blueberries...

I was in El Galpon yesterday and i don't remember seeing any berries, as i probably would have priced them if i did...

I did get my supply of pigfat 30 pesos a kg, Butter at 8 pesos per 100g and ricotta for about 3.50-4.00 for 100g...

There is a kind of natural/organic/food/clothing store on the northeast corner of Bonpland and Soler that has 53 peso/ kilo quinoa!!! And also bottles of coco oil for 17 pesos, I didn't check out much was in the bottle but if you have been searching for coco oil and other organic oils/juices/grains/weird stuff go check out the shop!

Yes and next to them were some inorganic berries.[ps: if you truely believe that this stuff is grown to the standards then you are ready Cristinas World.

Helaine,
I have not been to ElGalpon recently so I do not know what the berry situation is.The stand at galpon sells vegetable grown ecologically and in season.so I think strawberries is the most that you will get. The organic certification is way too expensive to make it worthwhile as it is an international cert and way too expensive.I talked to all the providers there and I am happy that I get value for money and a natural product. You can find frozen berries on Mercadolibe but I never tried them.They are probably not organic but it does not hurt to ask.

HelaineT I have gotten behind on reading these posts, now trying to catch up. I appreciate every single contribution. Thanks for starting it and thanks to all contributers. I'm busy writing down sources but wanted to say thank you.

I see someone warning us that the produce is not really organic. I suspect he (or she) is right. I've been teased before for paying more for "organic." That makes some Argentinians in particular--laugh. They don't believe it either. But when I wash spinach in my sink and find baby earthworms trying to swim and I pick them out and go put them in the pot with a plant, it sure makes me feel good anyway. That never happened with spinach from Carrefour. Who would ever think a woman would be delighted to find a little green worm in the lettuce. Well I am that woman! So at least it's better. Also when I buy organic eggs, the shells are so thick they are sometimes kind of hard to break cleanly because the whole side wants to cave in if I insist on breaking it, and the yolks are very yellow while the ones in the store are very pale. So whether they could meet organic standards or not is, to me, open to question too. But I still like what I see.

Again, many thanks to all of you smart people with all this great information. I love it. HelaineT I'm not into tango. Why don't you start another blog--on eating healthy in Argentina. If you do, I'm the first in line to sign up! :D

P.S. I have talked with the folks at El Rincon Organico on occasion. They tell me some of their customers even eat the egg shells. Can you believe that? I said, "How do they do that?" She said she didn't know but that's what they tell her.

The egg shells thing I have tried . You pulverise them and try to make them palatable. I have not found a way but in the country people give their children the shells to eat. Before anybody laughs and says how quaint google the nutritional composition of egg shells. Dem country bumpkins know dem their eggs !
Arlean I have almost exactly the same thoughts on eating natural quasi organic. If I can source it and afford it I will try it at least once. Love the story about the worms in the spinach.

I took Aleina Dee's advice and went and looked: Here is the nutrition in a half teaspoon of egg shell:
Calcium 900 mg which is 90% of your daily requirement (it says)
Magnesium 24.0 mg 6% MDF
Phosphorus 8.4 mg
Potassium 8.0 mg

I also found where it says it is digestible. Of course whether it's true or not I don't know.

Could you pulverize them enough to put them in a smoothie? I put flax seeds and chia in (best to soak first--but I do without soaking sometimes). I wonder if that would work. Know what? I make a raw burger (it's good too!) I wonder if it would mix in and disappear into that. Hmmmm . . . .

Arlean ,they do not disappear . The best way to describe the experience if you mix them into something is eating sandwiches on a windy day on a beach. The best way they say is drinking the pulverised mix with some lemon juice and water to break down the egg shells for digestion. I have a nother breakdown of nutrients in egg shells but can't remember where I took it from .Here goes :

EGG SHELLS

Water, % 29-35
Protein, % 1.4-4
Crude Fat, % 0.10-0.20
Ash, % 89.9-91.1
Calcium, % 35.1-36.4
CaCO3, % of total Ca 90.9
Phosphorus, % 0.12
Sodium, % 0.15-0.17
Magnesium, % 0.37-0.40
Potassium, % 0.10-0.13
Sulphur, % 0.09-0.19