Seeking Organic & Paleo/primal Food Buddies (And Info)

Helaine for fermented why don't you try some of the organic delivery websites mentioned a few pages back? Also, I'm curious to know why you eat this way and what the physical effects are, so when you figure out how to explain it in English, let me know, and I can ask my boyfriend to translate it to Spanish for you!

Lucha, I asked here about fermented foods because some people in this thread have come up with some really good solutions to various paleo and organic questions. Regarding the organic delivery websites, I have a big order in right now to El Rincon Organico - they don't have fermented foods on their website, but sure, I can ask.

To answer your question:
Why I eat organic (past 5 years):
a. I feel great, b. food tastes better, c. the idea of eating pesticides, gmo's etc. is a total turn-off to me, d. I never get sick anymore - ever.
Why I eat paleo/primal, after decades as a vegetarian who got most of her calories from "good" carbs, like whole grains and legumes:
a. my energy is radically increased, b. I'm building lean muscle mass much more easily, c. I really love food now, d. I sleep blissfully, e. my skin is more beautiful.

Thanks for the offer to have your boyfriend translate. You'd be volunteering him for a substantial job, because anyone who really wants the answers to those paleo/primal questions, such as an organic foods producer, would probably need a thorough answer - I'm not able (or willing to spend the time trying) to put in a nutshell what I've been studying for only 6 months. But I can provide links. :) For more comprehensive explanations on any of those questions that the organic farmers and producers were asking me:

Mark's Daily Apple

Mark Sisson on the problem with eating grains:
- http://www.marksdail.../#axzz2kvAIJGUM, and
- http://www.marksdail.../#axzz2kvAIJGUM

Probably the most compelling and convincing information comes from success stories of primal "converts":
- http://www.marksdail.../#axzz2kvAIJGUM

How about a few of us organize a visit and have dinner together, as ambassadors/food critics from BAExpats? (I'm not an organizer, but I'd participate.) Would be a nice way to get to know each other and we can offer reviews to the group.

Anyone know about "pollos/huevos de campo" that we find in carnicerias and pollerias that sell mostly conventionally-raised animals? How "pastured" might they really be?

Hi Helaine,

I buy them and some of them are freer than the rest. They come from small producers so there is a myriad of living conditions. I buy them from my local granja who tell me they buy them from an old lady who goes to her place in the country twice a week to get them. The guy selling them to me thinks that they are not free range but only corn fed chickens .I beliueve that they are at least partially pastizal as they are a lot more tasty and have the typical free range problem: Big eggs (meaning that they are older hens that are not being force raised on enhanced grains and who do not have the capability to use all their calcium intake to make the eggs so the shells are thinner. A bit of detective work really and will depend on the granja. I buy occasionally from another granja and I asked wether they were pastizal .The quick yes I got led me to believe that the answer would have been the same if I had asked if the chickens practised yoga...

That's funny! (yoga)

So here's my dream for the future: that someone among us finds an organic farm or ranch that has grass-fed cattle and pastured poultry, plus eggs and dairy, and whose owners would be thrilled to be on the cutting edge of a potentially lucrative commercial trend, and we do a CSA deal with them (community supported agriculture). That is, we buy memberships and put in orders and work out a delivery system (pick-up station or home delivery).

Can anyone else see this working?

should this project to go and dine in "closed door paleo restaurant" go on, I am in!

should this project to go and dine in "closed door paleo restaurant" go on, I am in!

Helaine, I am so loving that idea! Let's do it!

Anna.l and Thuraya, I would love to also, and I could do it for the occasion of my despedida, since I'm leaving on January 29 (with the intention of returning in a couple of months).

However, I'm in the throes of a professional project that I have to get done before I leave, and can't take on the organization or coordination of a dinner. (Besides, I'm not good at it.) If someone would like to coordinate a paleo puerta serrada dinner at Como Sapiens I would love to join.

It would be a wonderful way for paleo BAExpats to meet. Any volunteers for coordinator?

I can try...but I am new to the forum and to the city. I will be back to this topic as soon as I have details, ok? thanks!

Back