Seeking Safe Areas with American or Italian Communities

Porteños intonation and gesticulation can be very Italian..
So true. Every now and then when I am walking down the street I turn my head towards somebody who is talking because I think they are speaking Italian, as the intonation and gesture are so similar.

Being 70% of Italian descent myself I can tell you that the most Italian families in Argentina are in the city of BsAs, Mar del Plata and La Plata. They also settled in Rosario and Cordoba. In the city of BA Italians settled around La Boca first, so you will find a concentration of Italians south out of the city ( that is not really safe for an expat these days ) and neighborhoods such as Parque Avellaneda, San Telmo, Boedo, Barracas. I can suggest you Google where you or your family are from, as there are many clubs and societies that link people from different parts of Italy such as Calabria, Piedemonte, Torino, etc.

Last edited:
Some of the oldes societies in Argentina are ( there are about 300 )
  • Società di Beneficenza per l’Ospedale Italiano de Buenos Aires, (1853)
  • Unione e Benevolenza (1858).
  • Union de Rosario (1861).
  • Società di Mutuo Soccorso de Chivilcoy (1867).
  • Circolo Italiano (1873).
  • Cámara de Comercio Italiana (1884).
  • Asociación Dante Alighieri (1896).

Most American expats choose Belgrano, Palermo and Recoleta in the city or places such as Acasusso, San Isidro, Vicente Lopez north out of the city.

Some of the oldes societies in Argentina are ( there are about 300 )
  • Società di Beneficenza per l’Ospedale Italiano de Buenos Aires, (1853)
  • Unione e Benevolenza (1858).
  • Union de Rosario (1861).
  • Società di Mutuo Soccorso de Chivilcoy (1867).
  • Circolo Italiano (1873).
  • Cámara de Comercio Italiana (1884).
  • Asociación Dante Alighieri (1896).

Just a side comment . A Great Number of the Italian Immigrants came from Sicily..! Therefore can check Sicilian Associations in Buenos Aires.

Just a side comment . A Great Number of the Italian Immigrants came from Sicily..! Therefore can check Sicilian Associations in Buenos Aires.

There was a wave of immigrants from Sicily mainly in 1895, however in the large numbers in 1950 over 65 % of inmigrants were from southern Italy: un 30 % Calabrese, 5 % from Campania and 12 % were sicilian. The remaining 35 %: 21 % from Abruzzo and Molise ( 14 %), 13 % from northern Italy mainly from Véneto and Friuli-Venecia Julia.

Not 100% sure, but it looks to me that there was a first wave of Italian immigrants in the mid to late 19th century, who came mostly from the northern part of Italy (Piemonte, Liguria, Lombardia, Veneto...), and another one right after WW II who came mostly from the south, Sicily included.

Not 100% sure, but it looks to me that there was a first wave of Italian immigrants in the mid to late 19th century, who came mostly from the northern part of Italy (Piemonte, Liguria, Lombardia, Veneto...), and another one right after WW II who came mostly from the south, Sicily included.

To clear all confusion we can trust Google?

Back