Selecting an eSim for data only

mkub3905

Registered
this should be a simple query (I hope):

I know my iPhone is eSim compatible and that it can handle multiple eSim's
I already am comfortable with using eSim (My phone currently has an eSim through my local carrier, SPECTRUM)
For Voice I use WhatsApp -almost exclusively (with the exception of Zoom calls)

I am looking to add an additional eSim card for LOCAL ARG DATA ONLY (to use while I am on the street / not connected to a WiFi network) ...like when I'm searching for directions, or surfing at the cafe...

I will be in BA for several weeks, but not for a full year.

-> does anyone have experience with one carrier vs. another (Claro vs. Mint vs....)
-> is there any carrier to avoid
-> preferably I would like to prepay before I travel (USA), pero, if it is simpler to purchase at a brick and mortar, i can do that
-> any miscellaneous red flags to be aware of

with appreciation and thanks in advance,
m.

All 3 operators in Argentina offer eSIMs. Personal have the fastest data (and real 5G at some locations), Claro have the biggest data packages. Movistar doesn't have a future (Telefonica wants to sell it, or at least leave it as a virtual operator on one of the other two operators' networks).

@mkub3905 - check out Airalo (travel eSIM provider) in the app store, it's very highly rated. I have a physical sim here in BA, but I've used Airalo for short trips to Uruguay with no problems. I had a friend visit BA from the U.S. a couple of weeks ago and I recommended Airalo, and he said it worked great for the week that he was here.

You can pay and download the eSIM info to your phone in advance, and your plan won't activate until you connect to a local tower for the first time. Not sure which carrier's towers they use.

Only downside is the cost and relatively low data cap. Their 30 day plan is $26 USD and gives you 6 GB of data, which may or may not be enough data for you depending on your daily usage. Meanwhile, my 30-day Claro plan with physical SIM gives me 15 GB of data + unlimited WhatsApp for $3.50. If you're not worried about pinching pennies and care more about having a SIM that works immediately upon arrival, Airalo or something similar might be the way to go. Otherwise, visiting a local Claro or Personal store after arrival will save you some money and give you a lot more data.

I just looked in the app and there's a $3 off code I can share with you if you want, just shoot me a PM if you're interested.

A word of warning about roaming eSIMs like Airalo (it's incredible how many people are pushing this eSIM now, I wonder what's behind it?): if your data applications require low latency, you may well run into problems. Here are some discussions about the topic, there's more information out there:

Basically, it comes down to whether your eSIM provider has local servers, which would be used for things like authentication, billing, checking your data allowance, and so on.

I can get a 5GB data package from Personal for about USD 1.70, and a 1GB roaming package for Uruguay, Paraguay, or Chile for under USD 1 (or a 5GB worldwide roaming package for USD 28.00 or so if I really wanted to break the bank)

A word of warning about roaming eSIMs like Airalo (it's incredible how many people are pushing this eSIM now, I wonder what's behind it?): if your data applications require low latency, you may well run into problems. Here are some discussions about the topic, there's more information out there:

Basically, it comes down to whether your eSIM provider has local servers, which would be used for things like authentication, billing, checking your data allowance, and so on.

I can get a 5GB data package from Personal for about USD 1.70.

@FrankPintor just speaking for myself, but I'm certainly not pushing Airalo or anyone else. I used Airalo for my first trip to Colonia two months ago and it was actually the first time I've used an eSIM in my life. I had no idea what I was doing but I figured it out and it worked fine. Otherwise, I'm old fashioned and much prefer grabbing a physical SIM on the cheap wherever I travel to.

I just got back this morning from another two-day trip to Colonia, and this time I figured out how to tack on a roaming package to my local Claro number, which was indeed cheaper and gave me more data. I just used nearly 3 GB during my two days in Colonia, so Airalo is a poor choice for me because I burn a lot of data watching videos and whatnot. My last visit to Colonia I had to micromanage my data so I didn't exhaust my Airalo data cap, which was only 2 GB for their 7-day plan, so my Claro roaming package was a much better choice this time around.

I certainly wouldn't want to depend on a provider like Airalo for mobile hotspot / work from my computer type situations, but for Google Maps, Cabify/Uber, WhatsApp or other typical touristy stuff it should be fine I would think. The only real plus is the ability to set it up prior to arrival so you can hit the ground running when you land at the airport. But yeah, otherwise it's a poor substitute for Personal or Claro, and something like Google Voice might struggle with latency issues during voice calls.

Last edited:
@obiwanderkenobi, I'm certainly not accusing you of anything, it's more in the FB groups for travelers to Argentina, once anyone asks about a SIM, it's wall to wall Airalo.

I would expect the Airalo eSIM should work fine for voice calls, and the apps you mention. If the OP is looking more at digital nomad working, uploading / downloading large files, collaborative working, etc, or just interactive gaming, the situation could be different.

BTW, the same point about latency also applies to VPNs, you can easily get several hundred milliseconds of latency (for all data transfer) using one of those.

FB groups is probably how I stumbled into them. I live and die by reviews and Google star ratings, a restaurant with a 4.0 intead of a 4.5 usually gives me pause. So the 4.6 star Airalo rating in the Play store with 1M+ downloads convinced me to try it out. But I agree wholeheartedly, definitely limited scenarios in which Airalo-style apps make sense, and not something I plan to use any more now that I've figured out Claro's roaming packages. The data cap is way to low for me to use Airalo for more than a few days.

I used airalo for a sim for the last week. I got around 2GB for $13 I think. Wasn’t a great deal but it allowed me to have data as soon as I got off my ferry from Colonia. Never had any issues with coverage throughout CABA. I then bought a tourist SIM card earlier this week from Claro. Was about 11000 pesos for 30 days of 25gb. They threw in a memory card that I couldn’t seem to get out of but wasn’t that fussed

I used airalo for a sim for the last week. I got around 2GB for $13 I think. Wasn’t a great deal but it allowed me to have data as soon as I got off my ferry from Colonia. Never had any issues with coverage throughout CABA. I then bought a tourist SIM card earlier this week from Claro. Was about 11000 pesos for 30 days of 25gb. They threw in a memory card that I couldn’t seem to get out of but wasn’t that fussed.

If you're here longer than 30 days, Claro should be a lot cheaper when you go to recharge. I'm using a tourist SIM as well, but I was able to register on the Mi Claro website to add packages and monitor my data usage. I recharged last week and got 15 GB for 30 days, unlimited WhatsApp and 1000 minutes and SMS for 2700 pesos, and also received an extra 2GB for topping up. Less than $4 a month sure beats the $70 I was paying for T-Mobile back in the states.

If you're here longer than 30 days, Claro should be a lot cheaper when you go to recharge. I'm using a tourist SIM as well, but I was able to register on the Mi Claro website to add packages and monitor my data usage. I recharged last week and got 15 GB for 30 days, unlimited WhatsApp and 1000 minutes and SMS for 2700 pesos, and also received an extra 2GB for topping up. Less than $4 a month sure beats the $70 I was paying for T-Mobile back in the states.
Sadly not this stint but I’m hoping to remember to bring back my Argentinian sim this time! Thanks for the heads up. I’ll probably recharge before the 30 days as I can easily burn through 25gb

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Expat Life 12
S Expat Life 0
Back