SELL ME on BA .... please :)

rivardco said:
QUOTE - "I'm already here. I don't know if BsAs (the local version of "BA") particularly needs someone that wants the current locals to "sell him/her" on a city. Maybe I am the one who needs to be sold on giving free information. Hmmm....???"

As it turns out, I seem to have created an offensive title. It suggests applying enthusiasm and effort with no certain reward. That turns some people off. However, where I am from SELL is not a dirty word.

Of course I understand that there is a over fixation with acting European. That suggests an emphasis on manners. Generally, is there brain power to back this up? Or just stuff shits and mannequins?

Why should I or anyone else apply enthusiasm and effort? You coming here or not - no me cambia la vida. We are all able to leave a reply which means that we have not been taken hostage while driving around the city. My dear friend GoogleMaps will be happy to show you where there are mountains and beaches, once you found something you like his brother Google helps you find more info. You said it yourself, you're not considering actually living here so don't make it such a big deal! Come see for yourself and have a good time in a country that has a lot to offer. Oh and I am 100% European, can you tell by my manners?

Another vote for taking a trip and drawing your own conclusions. If you ask 10 different people, you will get 10 different opinions.

Lucas said:
Spot-on HDM, thank you for your important and focused input exactly what it's.

I did not read "Bad times in Buenos Aires" but I can just imagine what an englishwoman can write on this city or any city in the world for that matter, and not necessary on a non english spoken western country.

"The inhabitants of Buenos Aires are famously unhappy. All over South America they are known for their arrogance, their fixation of Europe and their moodiness. Very soon, Miranda France encounters' bronca' - the simmering and barely controllable rage that is a staple feature of life in the Argentinian capital. She finds that 'bronca' has deep roots: the violence and racism of the first European settlers; the dictatorships, especially in the 1970s when so many 'disappeared'; even Evita Peron, for there was no rage to rival Evita's."

A lot of crappy nonsense stuff there.

Anyway thanks a lot again.

Estoy de acuerdo, basura!
Mark me as another who has not read "Bad times In Buenos Aires" judging from this exerpt I doubt that I ever will. "Kiss and Tango" is another book on a similar vein, that you will only enjoy if you either know nothing of the scene or Buenos Aires, or you allready hate the place.
Fortunately these publications put off some of those who would be happy nowhere and leave Buenos Aires for those of us who appreciate the place for what it is, and do not spend all our lives complaining (except to compain about the complainers:D)

Kiss and Tango by that greek chanta is full of mistruths and embellishments to fullfill foreigners fantasies about Buenos Aires.

A good book to read is Long after Midnight at the Nino Bien by Brian Winter

rivardco said:
someone is going to have to speak up! Otherwise this thread will have to be re-named: How much puppy poop is in BA?

Can someone please tell me whether or not the flipping girls pick their nose when in conversation!?!?!? Is there any sophisitcation /elegance to the population? Please provide comparisons.

And, what the hell is going on with Peso inflation? Do you feel the dollar buys you more now than 6 months ago?

GRACIAS.

I've just lived here for two months, but yes: I feel there is a certain sophistication/elegance to be found in the population here. Not it the "fake-smile, superficial and overly polite way" (that I would call the US way..but, I don't wanna make people mad). But, to me their european (spanish and italian espacially) heritage is obvious, and I like that they show their feelings. People care about how they and their departamentos look, and I don't think you would see a girl picking her nose in front of you!

Apperance is important, and in general I find the people friendly and polite. If you ask for help (even in crappy spanish) they will go out of their way to help you, and in conversations they take a real interest in you. I have not felt judged as a "rich, gringo", and I'm freakishly tall by their standards, so I clearly stand out as a foreigner. But perhaps it's different being young and a student.

Another thing I love is how porteños go out and stay at cafes or restaurants for hours, just chatting and enjoying life. And that they have a large amount of shows, concerts, art etc just waiting for you to discover it. And: on weekends,in parks, you can find free activities/courses.

Also I live in Belgrano, a nice neighbourhood. Not that touristy, and it's actually pleasant and not that loud. And reading about all the dog-poo had a good effect on me: I was expecting a lot, and was like "is this it?" when I got here. Yes, it's there, but does it REALLY bother me? Nope. Maybe it's not that bad in my neighbourhood or maybe a little dogpoo every couple of meters really doesn't make that much of a difference when you have to watch your step anyway (broken tiles).

By the way: I'm from Norway, were people can be a little cold and distant (before you get to know them), and this of course effects my view of things. Just like I have found it hard to trust american reviews of some things (like hotels, because they are used to huge rooms with two double beds etc), you might find that you won't have the same experience I had. But do visit BsAs! Spring is coming, and you seem like a person that will be able to enjoy your stay here. The opportunities are endless, and as my motto goes "You don't have more fun than what you make of it yourself" (bad translation...wow)

tangobob said:
So here is my list of what is great, tango, architecture, plazas, tango, steak, iced cream, tango, the women, art, museums, cheap transport, cheap wine, good food, and did I mention the tango?
You forgot chicas, although you did mention women :D

The list should read:
chicas, tango, chicas, architecture, chicas, plazas, chicas, tango, chicas, steak, chicas, ice cream, chicas, tango, the women and chicas, art, chicas, museums, chicas, cheap transport, chicas, cheap wine, chicas, good food, chicas, tango and chicas. (chicas = girls).

GarrettB said:
... the waiter in passing that I needed to practice my Spanish because I had learned it in Spain more than ten years ago. The guy shook my hand, introduced himself, and then spent about ten minutes asking me questions and chatting in Spanish. Not basic, what's your name kinda questions either. Insightful ones about my country and its culture. (I know some people will suggest he was looking for a tip)
Not me.

I've had several conversations with waiters, long after they have found out how I tip.

GarrettB said:
I have found the people to be friendly, especially when I am friendly to them. ... At the risk of becoming unpopular, I think some of these nay-sayers need to take a look at themselves and ask why they have such negative experiences with so many people in this country, when others have positive things to say.
10 out of ten.

[irony on] In contrast to every other country in the world, Argentinos hate when you say "3rd world country" about their patria, in Europe or the US this would be met with enthusiasm [irony off].

The key to Argentinos is to show you are a nice person yourself and that - in spite of the shortcomings of the country, they themselves are only too aware of - it's OK: vices and virtues both.

GarrettB said:
Also in many areas at night I feel a bit more nervous than I would in Europe ...
Reeperbahn, Hamburg? :D

criswkh said:
... It is extremely difficult to transfer money into the country.
Sure, you'll have to move all the way to the nearest Western Union or similar to pick'm up, no delivery service, really difficult, almost as difficult as finding your way out of a shopping bag without assistance.

Back