SELL ME on BA .... please :)

there s only great architecture here if you havent traveled the world and have a limited idea of what great architecture is. thats not to say there arent some good buildings. go ahead, all you people who come from kansas and for the first time see a five story building with decoration. crucify me.

Thanks for your learned (or at least expereicneced) comments). I was hoping I could learn much as this thread develops. And, I am beginning to ...

What am I looking for? I will know it when I see it.

I loved much about the DR - the nature is fantastic! There is much to do (fishing; motocross; beach; sailing). However, it is a primitive place.

I loved much about Colombia too - The manner of living was slow, and life stirred in the air constantly. However, the people are simple. There is a caste system at work in Colombia that makes authentic communication difficult.

I HOPE Argentina has a slower pace of life (like Colombia) but more elegance and sophistication. I HOPE it is beautiful like the DR. I HOPE the art and architecture is rich. I don't mind a social challenge and I am patient, so I imagine I could find ways to "mix in." I remain single, so attractive ladies are a plus.

I will certainly continue to travel in South America an elsewhere.

Thanks for the good points.

If you love dog shit, bland food, and car horns, then you'll LOVE BsAs!!!

PS- When you arrive you should change money right there at baggage claim and then head straight to the curb for a ride in an unmarked car. Good luck!

I have seen much reference to dog shit. WTF?

Napoleon... I take it you do NOT live in BA?

And regarding research. This is a great site for Argentina. Can anyone reference other similar boards for Brazil, Chile, and Uruguay?

rivardco said:

Why would you assume (take) that Napoleon doesn't live in BA?

Assuming anything here only increases the risks you "assume" by coming here.

In addition to the blaring car horns(that accompany the screaming buses and unbelievably loud motorcycles and trucks, (truly) bland food, and MOUNTAINS of dog shit on the sidewalks (even in Recoleta...though a bit less than other barrios), you need to know that the carbon monoxide level in your blood will skyrocket as you walk the streets of the city (the closer to the center the worse it gets).

Buenos Aires is a bit of a misnomer.

The air in Uruguay is better, but it's unbearably boring over there.

diego7david said:
there s only great architecture here if you havent traveled the world and have a limited idea of what great architecture is

I've travelled the world, and think the crumbling colonial architecture is beautiful. Depends on what impresses you.

rivardco said:

Alas, only a Buenos Aires resident could make reference to such. It's all over the place. You have to change your shoes when you get home. The traffic is homicidal, the air dirty, the crime ubiquitous, the poverty endemic. But these are the negative sides. The positive is the constant buzz (day and night), the tango, the steaks.

diego7david said:
there s only great architecture here if you havent traveled the world and have a limited idea of what great architecture is. thats not to say there arent some good buildings. go ahead, all you people who come from kansas and for the first time see a five story building with decoration. crucify me.

I have travelled a bit and have spent years studying the works of many famous architects. I've been to dozens of Palladio's villas in Vicenza, seen the ruins in Sicily and have appreciated the great architecture that my own country has to offer. Not that it makes my OPINION any more right than yours, but disagree with your comment that one who is educated and well traveled would not appreciate the architecture here. Of course not every single building is an architectural masterpiece, but there are many gems here. I think architecture here is beautiful and very fitting for the city.

Rivardco,

It sounds like you want to be sold on Buenos Aires. But, you can see by the posts of people who live here that the fantasy of "Paris of the Americas" is very different from the reality for most of us.

I tell everyone who wants to come here to rent for at least 3-6 months and see what you think. For cheaper rents stay away from real estate agencies that deal exclusively with the English speaking tourist market.

Cost of living definitely depends on your lifestyle. For US$3,000 a month you can live well meaning that you can pretty much do what you want to do without counting pennies. That does not include rent which varies wildly (I think that there is a separate thread for that). Crime is a growing problem. So is resentment towards foreigners. I know that some people will disagree with me on this but my experience is that with so many people struggling all yanquis are perceived as being extremely wealthy, entitled, easy targets for being ripped off, etc. You might not be wealthy. You might be struggling yourself but you will always be seen as someone to be taken advantage of or, at least that you can afford to be taken advantage of.

Back