SELL ME on BA .... please :)

Rivardco,

Just to contribute something positive,
I live in Palermo and I love the huge variety of restaurants and bars. Just last night I was sitting outside a restaurant eating some nice empanadas and having a cool beer and conversation with friends. I enjoy the culture here of eating out late in the evening. There is always a good vibe and the people seem happy to be out chatting with friends.
With regard to the people, I don't see why foreigners would criticise them more than any other nation. Just recently, I was sitting reading a book in a cafe and I happened to say to the waiter in passing that I needed to practice my Spanish because I had learned it in Spain more than ten years ago. The guy shook my hand, introduced himself, and then spent about ten minutes asking me questions and chatting in Spanish. Not basic, what's your name kinda questions either. Insightful ones about my country and its culture. (I know some people will suggest he was looking for a tip)

I have found the people to be friendly, especially when I am friendly to them.
I do agree that what they call their "passionate" nature can sometimes be construed as tempermental and argumentative, but conversely, they can be very welcoming and inviting.

At the risk of becoming unpopular, I think some of these nay-sayers need to take a look at themselves and ask why they have such negative experiences with so many people in this country, when others have positive things to say. I can appreciate that some people can just be unlucky, but I can't honestly say that the people here are any worse than anywhere else. One unfortunate point, however, is the corruption that you will read a lot about. That seems to be quite common among the people here to do more than just backpack or spend a few months checking out the country. A friend of mine was in a car accident. A motorbike went into his car (not my friend's fault). The police made my friend wait in the police station for ten hours and kept trying to bring him into a back room by himself. The guy pretended not to speak Spanish, and he asked to bring his "translator" in with him, but they wanted to speak to him by himself. One payment would have made the process easier.

What people say about the dog crap is true - it's everywhere. Also in many areas at night I feel a bit more nervous than I would in Europe or say Korea or Japan or Australia. However, this is all part of the price to pay for staying in a cheaper country.

There are places near me where you can get fried fish and mash potatoes for 5 pesos, or else get some peruvian rice and chicken dish for 2 that costs 20 pesos.

There's plenty of positives over here. Don't commit before coming though - too many naive people come over thinking it's going to have all the benefits of some cheap paradise without any negative aspects.

Thanks for all the input.

A mountain of dog shit in a beautiful city. Sort of hard to imagine. That much, hugh?

I used the title "SELL ME" to stimulate interest. I hoped to get good traffic and response. I need not want or require a fantasy. Hell, I just lived in CALI Colombia for a half of year - without prior knowledge of Spanish. Cali is not known for safety. Cali have never been compared to Paris. I loved it.

But, I am hoping I can find an upgrade.

Can anyone make reference as to the people. I found the caste system between the wealthy 1% and he rest fueled an inferiority complex. Just being a gringo put me into the 1%. There are two worlds in Colombia that never touch each other: the rich and the poor. I wonder if this is a South American generalization, or confined to Colombia only.

Also, I found the Colombian soul to be insecure and has difficulty with the truth - in large ways and small. I found there was a lack of common good outside tight family circles (cars do not yield for ambulances). It is possible to develop true relationships, but it takes time. Moreover, the people were simple (which could be a nice thing). But, I WOULD assume I may find a higher degree of sophistication in Argentina.

The Colombian woman are mostly beautiful. Unfortunately, they are all mostly crazy too :) As I stated above, I can take mean, not crazy.

I did not assume some of the posters do not actively live in BA. There negatives comments however draw a picture of people living a "bad dream" I assume such conditions do not last forever.

I love the food in Columbia better than BA. It has spices and flavor. You can have both positive and negative aspects with the people here. The wine and beer is cheap, but if you make pesos the cost of living is getting harder. It is extremely difficult to transfer money into the country. Bureaucracy is a mock about different agencies, just bring a book along to read. The parks are nice in BA. You really need to come stay for a longer than a month. If you do move here don't bring any artwork, because when you leave you will have to either leave it here or pay tax on it.

rivardco said:
A mountain of dog shit in a beautiful city. Sort of hard to imagine.

It's on all the pavements but I wouldn't call it a mountain. As for BsAs being beautiful ....

Can anyone make reference as to the people. I found the caste system between the wealthy 1% and he rest fueled an inferiority complex. Just being a gringo put me into the 1%. There are two worlds in Colombia that never touch each other: the rich and the poor. I wonder if this is a South American generalization, or confined to Colombia only.

Throughout South America and correlated with skin pigment. But differs in extent from country to country. In Argentina you will not be part of the ruling group by default -- unless you're a multimillionaire in a gated community or guarded estate.

Also, I found the Colombian soul to be insecure and has difficulty with the truth - in large ways and small.

Again generalises to South America. Certainly applies to Argentina.

But, I WOULD assume I may find a higher degree of sophistication in Argentina.

Dunno. A lot of it is faux.

Read the book "Bad Times in Buenos Aires" for a more in-depth look than what we can offer.

There negatives comments however draw a picture of people living a "bad dream" I assume such conditions do not last forever.

Both negatives and positives. Those who find the negatives outweighing the positives leave. Those who find the positives outweighing the negatives stay but still gripe about the negatives.

Lee said:
Prostitutes are relatively inexpensive but I suppose the same can be said for nearly any Central or South American country...so that might not sell you on BA.

I can draw you a map of the three putarias* within one block of my apartment if you'd like. Just let me know.

And when I say that I have one "across the street", I really mean ACROSS THE STREET!! If you change the last digit of my address from a "1" to a "0", you can ring the doorbell, go up one flight of stairs, and be naked in about 1 or 2 I guess... as long as you have the required fee. (They may be running "A promocion!")

*They don't really "make" putas at these places or even "sell" them. But you can definitely "try them on for size" and spend money at these places, so I added the "-rias".

rivardco said:
I did not assume some of the posters do not actively live in BA. There negatives comments however draw a picture of people living a "bad dream" I assume such conditions do not last forever.

So basically you just want to hear good things that support your ideas & decisions?

criswkh said:
It is extremely difficult to transfer money into the country.

Or out of the country.

mini said:
So basically you just want to hear good things that support your ideas & decisions?

That's the title of the thread. Do we get a commission if we succeed?

Nobody has earned the sale so far wolf. You guys better not loose your day jobs as English Teachers and Dance instructors :)

And again, I do not want sales BS. I would appreciate bullet points with few "off topic rants" - I titled the Thread with that purpose.

OF COURSE, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting a punta right in the head in South America. It does not take long to accept different cultures. But my interests are more cultural and life style oriented.

We still have little on this thread that would constitute a "Sales Pitch". I have received very nice impressions from others who have traveled to BA within the past 2 years. I am not considering LIVING THERE. Just visiting for a couple months ... then we will see.

I am hoping for an upgrade to simplicity and lack of sophisitcation / elegance that I saw in Colombia. There was a coarseness to most things in Colombia - a lack of refinement. Hopefully this could exist without too much elitism. I have seen this in Eastern Europe, for example.

It also appears the currency exchange is positive for the dollar. That is, providing that inflation of the peso is not greater than the increase in the increase of the dollar's conversion?

A final question please ... How far are beautiful mountains and nature? How far to beautiful beaches? ( I get the feeling beaches in Argentina are more like the mid Atlantic States, not like the BVIs). Of course, there are dangers in every big city sometimes. But can you rent a car and drive without the threat of begin found by the FARC (or some regional version thereof)?

Back