Selling a few artworks (Dali, Warhol and others)

fred mertz said:
Sounds like you have millions of dollars - Euros worth of art. You should contact Sothebys, here in BA. I'm surprised that you haven't received marriage proposals from some of BA's most eligible bachelors; art lover's all.

I wish I had things to propose at Sotheby's, so for the millions I'll wait :p as for the marriage I've been married to an Argentinean for 5 years... :mad:

I am lowering the price of the Warhol's Marilyns (sunday B morning edition) to 500 pesos each.

French jurist said:
I am lowering the price of the Warhol's Marilyns (sunday B morning edition) to 500 pesos each.
Good luck. Warhol is a tough sell in these times and people a cautious about Dali as there are so many forged prints out there. 7 years ago I got creamed on some Dalis I wanted to sell because I was chasing Miros Hibou. I got the Hibou [which I will never sell] but I really got hurt on the Dalis.
Good luck and be careful.
PS:
How do you get these works into Argentina?

ghost said:
Good luck. Warhol is a tough sell in these times and people a cautious about Dali as there are so many forged prints out there. 7 years ago I got creamed on some Dalis I wanted to sell because I was chasing Miros Hibou. I got the Hibou [which I will never sell] but I really got hurt on the Dalis.
Good luck and be careful.
PS:
How do you get these works into Argentina?

Yes, many issues with the Dalis in general. Luckily I've been working in a french auction house for a few years and happened to meet many experts.
Too, I have bought in the past two Dali drawings that I got authenticated by one of the former official experts (Robert Descharnes).
Problem with the Dali prints is that Dali started to be really sick from the Parkinson disease during the 70s and during the second part of the 70s, he did not sign at all (or not too many) prints so his assistants did.
My Dali lithos are 100% genuine (I put my name on this affirmation, well, for what it's worth ;-) ), btw the Dali "catalogue raisonne" of the prints mention if a specific image has been the victim of a pirat edition or not (mine : no).

Too, another thing quite useful with the watermarks, for the "Arches" paper : before the 1980s the watermark was "Arches France" usually, but after that it was added the infinite symbol (those two interlaced Os). That's a good way of knowing when the sheet was done.

For the Warhol, it's a question of price and since I am selling them for what I paid, price is quite good (kind of ebay price if you include the shipping).

I imported my artworks in various steps :
- When I moved here in 2003, I brought all my stock of prints & paintings together with my art documentation.
- Later, purchases made abroad were sent to me either by Fedex (but the fees really hurts, apart of the 50% tax, since you need to pay the broker, ... etc...).
- Prints can be sent rolled in a tube, and receiving them by Correo Argentino, the customs officials usually don't bother that much since they consider them as "repros" or "afiches" or "laminas".
- I received once a big Antonio Segui painting rolled in a tube, it arrived at Retiro and I had to pay all the fees of course.

Interesting. I have never tried to bring original works into Argentina via any courier and I did not know that AR collects duties on original art. Some countries do not.
It is my understanding that getting art works out of AR is a nightmare [if you list them among your belongings on the moving manifest]
Good luck

Back