Selling land in Argentina

mini said:
Excellent point. All transactions I've heard of are made in US dollars at all once, not in installment. I guess the OP should be OK if that his concern.

I heard that approximately 93% of all properties in Argentina are owned out right, without a mortgage. Has anyone else heard anything similar?

I think that is true, simply because mortgages are practically unheard of in Argentina. Sometimes the government makes housing loans available, but the amounts are minuscule and the requirements very high.

Most transactions are done in cash, using personal savings or family loans.

IMO, the positive part of not having mortgages is there is no bubble to burst, como en EEUU.

if the property is worth 750K+ you should contact Paul Reynolds directly: "Pablo at Reynolds.com.ar" . (or Paul, but Pablo is the one he checks).

If you need to sell the property faster an may be willing to pay some marketing fees, then contact Geoffrey at http://www.gatewaytosouthamerica.com/en/index.php

soulskier said:
I heard that approximately 93% of all properties in Argentina are owned out right, without a mortgage. Has anyone else heard anything similar?

Yes and I'd say 98%. it's Latin America's lure: real assets in an "averagely" stable environment. Uruguay and Panama/Costa Rica are paramount of that concept, but the latter two are already very much owned by Americans who are desperately trying to sell - spreading the disease.

So I guess the relative economic independence/isolationism/distance (with all the poverty this entails and creates) coupled with the fact that not so many people can get a mortgage in Argentina maintains a more objective value on material stuff.

In Argentina 70% of the population, wouldn't dream of getting a mortgage but actively pursue government handouts, even housing, or even, informally, government land: that's the villas!
The remaining 20% rents and would only dream of home ownership by moving far from Capital (where you need either a gun or a gated community membership).
I guess the ones who actually get mortgages through credicoop or banco hipotecario are the ones with a sure high paying job in this country: that is a mid-top rung bureaucrat that can't be fired and remains behind the desk oblivious to which Government is in power.
Then that other 10% is composed of people who either "made it" or have inherited property in both sides of the socioeconomic spectrum (rich old families; and mid-low families that have not sold in the past 30 years and now own very valuable yet run down houses.

Am I way off?

Matt84 said:
Yes and I'd say 98%. it's Latin America's lure: real assets in an "averagely" stable environment. Uruguay and Panama/Costa Rica are paramount of that concept, but the latter two are already very much owned by Americans who are desperately trying to sell - spreading the disease.

So I guess the relative economic independence/isolationism/distance (with all the poverty this entails and creates) coupled with the fact that not so many people can get a mortgage in Argentina maintains a more objective value on material stuff.

In Argentina 70% of the population, wouldn't dream of getting a mortgage but actively pursue government handouts, even housing, or even, informally, government land: that's the villas!
The remaining 20% rents and would only dream of home ownership by moving far from Capital (where you need either a gun or a gated community membership).
I guess the ones who actually get mortgages through credicoop or banco hipotecario are the ones with a sure high paying job in this country: that is a mid-top rung bureaucrat that can't be fired and remains behind the desk oblivious to which Government is in power.
Then that other 10% is composed of people who either "made it" or have inherited property in both sides of the socioeconomic spectrum (rich old families; and mid-low families that have not sold in the past 30 years and now own very valuable yet run down houses.

Am I way off?

Sounds pretty legit to me.

It would be great to hear from other Argie real estate experts.

Back