Selling pesos at EZE?

I was there on Nov. 18th. Then, at least, you couldn't exchange pesos for dollars without pre-approval. Lots of tourists trying to leave found they couldn't exchange their pesos and were very confused. I had to wait until getting back to the US to exchange them.

I'm not sure if the ban applies to euros.

I have no personal experience but I would assume the same applies to Euros. A tourist told me they could only change pesos back to Euros at Ezeiza if they could show the receipt of having changed Euros to pesos to begin with. It's hearsay so for what it's worth...

As far as I could tell only people going into the Banco De La Nacion who brought forms from AFIP or whoever were allowed to sell pesos for dollars. The various exchange kiosks weren't selling dollars at all.

If I were you I wouldn't even bother at EZE if possible. Try to do it before you get there or at your destination. All the lines at EZE were super slow because one tourist after another kept trying to exchange pesos to no avail.

PastPerfect said:
I was there on Nov. 18th. Then, at least, you couldn't exchange pesos for dollars without pre-approval. Lots of tourists trying to leave found they couldn't exchange their pesos and were very confused. I had to wait until getting back to the US to exchange them.

What exchange rate did you get in the US?

Could have been worse. OK, I've got a friend heading back in a month and I'll tell her.

suerte

PastPerfect said:
I exchanged them at a Chase bank for 4.8 Pesos (more or less) to the Dollar.
Very soon, if not already, the US banks will refuse to change pesos. Look at the bullshit that happened with Uruguay. Argentina is dumping it's out bound pesos and not honoring returns, while prohibiting internal dollar purchases. Dollar and Euro hording. It's a defaco default on local currency. This should go over very well with other countries. Then you stop the artificial support, let it tank and re-monetize. Nice deal. Kind of a whole new twist on the default trick. Very creative.

Calm as a clam. This doesn't affect me. But it will cause many locals and businesses some major pain.

Back