Senatgreen Light To Bomb Syria....!!

Someone must stop the military-industrial complex before it finishes in a WW. Nobody did since 1945 and since then they didnt stop making weapons, they just expanded and extended their production, finding market to those weapons creating wars all over the world (Korea, Viet Nam, Iran-Iraq, Kosovo, Irak twice again, Lybia, etc). That is what the US and Israel do in Middle East: the permanent war, the perfect situation to this people, the constant demand to their production, and when you ve your markets saturated, your population armed to the teeth, your defense perfectly covered, then you must create new wars. Sad.

Yet there are people out there that voted for this guy, not once but twice!
We are moving further and further away from the intended principals of the creation of our republic.
We became no better than the British Empire of the 19th century.
What a shame!!!!

Hopefully the full senate stops this. Or the House. More than 60% of the country doesn't want this.

From the Washington post, this is the argument for.

In the news conference in Sweden, Obama said in making the case for military action: “My credibility is not on the line. The international community’s credibility is on the line. And America and Congress’s credibility is on the line because we give lip service to the notion that these international norms are important.”

Appearing before reporters with Swedish Prime Minister Fredrik Reinfeldt, Obama said: “I do think that we have to act. Because if we don’t, we are effectively saying that even though we may condemn it and issue resolutions and so forth and so on, somebody who is not shamed by resolutions can continue to act with impunity. And those international norms begin to erode. And other despots and authoritarian regimes can . . . say, that’s something we can get away with. And that then calls into question other international norms and laws of war, and whether those are going to be enforced.”

Asked by a Swedish reporter about “the moral force of nonviolence” and the dilemma of being a Nobel Peace Prize laureate while preparing to attack Syria, Obama reiterated that he was “certainly unworthy” of the prize compared to previous recipients and asked “what are our responsibilities” in confronting a world “full of violence and occasional evil.” He argued that when 1,400 innocent civilians, including 400 children, are gassed to death in a war that has already claimed tens of thousands of lives, “the moral thing to do is not to stand by and do nothing.”

Which I have to say reads a lot more persuasively than I thought it would considering I've been pretty firmly in the no camp for a while.

The absolute minimum requirement for intervention should be concrete proof that Assad used WMD, if any of it seems to be the wishy washy type bs like Iraq....

From the Washington post, this is the argument for.

Which I have to say reads a lot more persuasively than I thought it would considering I've been pretty firmly in the no camp for a while.

The absolute minimum requirement for intervention should be concrete proof that Assad used WMD, if any of it seems to be the wishy washy type bs like Iraq....

Utterly unconvincing.

If Washington is concerned about illegal use of WMDs on civilians then the best place to start would be stopping their own WMD violence against civilians in Yemen, Pakistan, Afghanistan and Somalia. Then they might try to stop sending arms to repressive regimes in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Colombia etc.

Meanwhile, as much as the US openly mocks it, there are international legal mechanisms to solve such problems. Washington scorns them because it knows the international community has the exact opposite opinion about what to do about Syria. The latest posturing about the "international community" should give us all 2003 flashbacks.

Assad is one of many tyrants I would love to see out of power for good. But bring it to a general vote at the UN. Then let UN peacekeepers take any action, instead of the US which has a proven track record for destroying weak countries.

pearl+harbor.jpg

Back