Senatgreen Light To Bomb Syria....!!

Compared to some US endorsed tyrants, like the Kuwait or Saudi royal families, or Ethiopian president Girma Wolde-Giorgis, I find Assad to be quite mild. Not a nice guy by any stretch of the imagination, but far from being the worst, specially when compared with some of the US friends.
I visited Syria back in 2010 and was amazed at how secular the country was. In Damascus women dressed no different than any woman in New York or London. Veils were actually outlawed, and women were highly encouraged to attend university, hold public office, become doctors, scientists or managers.
As long as one did not challenge the regime, Assad could not care less about your religion, music tastes, if you had sex before or after marriage, or even if you were gay (as long as you were somewhat discreet about it).

In Damascus it can appear western, like Amman, Jordan - however it is only in certain areas, ie wealthy, upper class areas. In the poorer neighbourhoods -- as in neighbouring Jordan, it is still very much traditional, and the women are all covered. At your hotel you could feel as if you are in any western nation, but if you head further afield, Syria is not westernized. I've travelled pretty extensively through Turkey, Syria, Jordan, and Egypt and Syria is the most backwards of the 4. The people are some of the nicest in the region by the way.

Outside of Damascus is quite a different world. Homs for instance, Aleppo, Hamah -- basically anywhere beyond the university/embassy/financial centres of Damascus Syria is very much a backwards place. As is common in most areas of the world -- in the metropolitan areas things are much more liberal, and in the villages it is a step back into another centur.

There was such hope amongst young people that Assad would be a step to change -- he wasn't actually meant to be the successor at all, it was meant to be his older brother. Unfortunately older brother died in a car or motorcycle accident, so Assad was called back from London and got some military training. When he first came in I remember talking with some people there who said that they felt Assad could bring a wave of change but was in problems already because the Senate was stocked with old supporters of his dad who were very traditional. At first I had sort of thought that Assad himself couldn't be all that bad, but no, he's a terrible person. It does make me wonder though what kind of man he would have been had he just continued as an opthamologist and not lead of a nation? He seems one of these megalomaniacs that perhaps would have just been that A--hole in the clinic had he continued his medical career, but with being handed the reins of an entire country has done as he's liked.

Even worse than he if you ask me is Asma, his wife. She's British-born and bred and is completely "standing by her man" --worse than him because she grew up in a completely free nation and has so far chosen to go along with his acts. She's completely compliant in every act, releases all of these images of herself visting loyal Syrians in hospital, has had all the possibilities in the world of walking away, and chooses to stay. Even if it is for fear of what might happen to her kids, she is a British national and had she wanted to leave she could have reached out for help. If she tries to come out later and say she did, I won't believe a word, she's a disgusting person for having sat there and enjoyed all the privileges of her position and if she believes what her husband is doing is right than she's truly a complete idiot and deserves what comes to her. The EU actually had to put embargoes specifically against her because as her husband and govt are out there killing people in the street she was still sitting at home clicking away making thousands upon thousands of dollars in purchases every month via Hermes, Harrods, luxury boutiques in Europe etc. They ended up blocking her from any purchasing of goods in Europe. Vogue embarrassingly ran a story basically worshipping her circa about 2010 -- they have since taken it down from their site after realising they had basically upheld this woman as completely virtuous.

At this point, I am pretty ticked at the Democratic and Republican parties. This is the final straw for me. I'll never vote for anyone from either one of those parties again--only third parties. I've had enough of these corporatist crooks. Dropping bombs on people's heads, for what? It makes me ashamed to be an American.

This is another thought. Supposedly Assad used chemical weapons. So what? How is that any different from anything he's been doing? They've already been killing civilians with terrifying bombs. Now suddenly because he used a different kind of terrifying weapon, we've got to stop him. What nonsense. If it were so urgent, we would have already stopped him by now.

From now on, my vote will go to libertarian, green party, whig, etc. etc. I hope that everyone can wake up and start doing the same.

Oh come on, pilgrim,the war for the independence was clearly won,lol i understand that might hurt your British pride but it's a fact

But the independence war was the British fighting the British, as you were not independent until the war had finished.

WW1 - no
WW2 - no
Vietnam - no
Afganistan - no
Iraq - no
Syria - I think not

Back