Sending money to Argentina via transfer

I prefer Xoom, a slightly lower exchange rate than WU, but also much lower fees. More or less works the same, ID to pick up cash at many locations, or you can do a direct transfer to an Arg bank.

The WU fee for a direct transfer from a US bank to an Arg bank is ZERO.

Hi Everyone. I see I've missed this convo by a few weeks but here goes...
I'm brand spanking new here and am planning on moving to BsAs from the UK. I found this particular thread after reading various others in search of the best way to send USD to a friend in Argentina from the UK. My UK bank charges £25 for the service, which could get expensive quickly as I want to make regular transfers ahead of travelling there myself. Could any of you advise please what is the best way to do that?
So far, I've looked at:
Crypto
WU, Remitly, Xoom
Uruguayan bank account

Just ended up tying myself in knots. That led me to thinking "Hang on. Someone out there must have already done this before", and that led me to this forum.

I bet your bank gives you a chump rate also. Make sure you use wu or xoom or soemthing else.

I have two questions. 1) What is the monthly limit for sending myself money for cash pickup when I don't have a DNI? 2) What is the maximum I can transfer into an Argentinian friend's bank account per month without creating tax obligations for him/her? Thanks in advance.

What is the monthly limit for sending myself money for cash pickup when I don't have a DNI?

Probably the same as if you didn't have one, at least for now.

What is the maximum I can transfer into an Argentinian friend's bank account per month without creating tax obligations for him/her?

Depositing money into a bank acount doesn't necesssarily create Argentine tax oblgations. If your friend did not earn the money he/she should not have an obligation to pay tax on it. If AFIP ever inquires, having "adequate evidence" of the source of the funds will be essential.

When your friend opened their bank account they probably had to provide proof or evidence of the source of their income. that would be deposited in the account, most commonly pay stubs.

The most likely problem your freind will face is the bank blocking the transfers, at least temporarily, until your friend can "explain" the source of the deposits to the bank's satisfaction.

Related to this question:

What is the maximum I can transfer into an Argentinian friend's bank account per month without creating tax obligations for him/her? Thanks in advance.

This was posted on April 14 in the "Western Union Money Transfer" thread:

Sorry if this has been covered but I couldn't find it back, does anyone know if there is a monthly/yearly limit you can send to someone if you are not married etc?

Instead of sending myself cash to pick up at Western Union I've been transferring cash (only around 150 USD a month) to my girlfriend's account but the last transaction was blocked by the bank.

The bank's don't tell WU the reason for the refusal so I'm wondering if there is some sort of limit?

So, it appears that regular transfers of $150 can fall under scrutiny and generate suspicion (of money laundering?).

I prefer Xoom, a slightly lower exchange rate than WU, but also much lower fees. More or less works the same, ID to pick up cash at many locations, or you can do a direct transfer to an Arg bank.

The WU fee for a direct transfer from a US bank to an Arg bank is ZERO.

Okay. And?

...and, in case it isn't obvious, anyone who, based on the information in the first post I quoted, makes a transfer from a US bank to an Argentine bank using XOOM will receive less money than if they use Western Union.

...and, in case it isn't obvious, anyone who, based on the information in the first post I quoted, makes a transfer from a US bank to an Argentine bank using XOOM will receive less money than if they use Western Union.
To be precise, I should have used the word "misinformation" in my previous post.

Okay, whatever floats your boat, pal. But there's no "misinformation" as it was fairly obvious that I was mainly referring to cash pick up.

If you need to "correct" a several-months old post, good for you. I've made 442 other posts here, feel free to "correct" those as well.

Back